Email digishowbiz@the-sun.co.uk or call us direct on 0207 782 4220 . It was rumoured that members of the public would be able to play again before Christmas 2007, however this did not happen. Kenneth Robertson Bruce (born 2 February 1951) is a Scottish broadcaster who is best known for hosting his long-running weekday mid-morning show on BBC Radio 2, since 1992. The following year he fronted the Radio 2 Breakfast Show, taking over from Sir Terry Wogan. On leaving BBC Radio 2, Bruce said: "Nothing stays the same forever and I have decided the time is right for me to move on from Radio 2 when I reach the end of my current contract in March. Following the launch of BBC Radio Scotland in November 1978, he became one of the original presenters of Nightbeat, alongside Iain Purdon. Those ads you do see are predominantly from local businesses promoting local services. "However, I feel that after 45 years of full-time broadcasting on BBC Radio its time for a change. At 71 years old, Ken Bruce height not available right now. He was supposed to keep hosting his mid-morning show until the end of March, but the DJ is set to depart far earlier than was originally announced. He moved to mid-mornings in 1986 and, after a brief stint on late nights and early mornings, he returned to mid-mornings in January 1992. In September 2018, Bruce became the patron of Stoke Mandeville Hospital Radio, replacing former mayor of Aylesbury and long-standing patron and co-founder of the station, Freda Roberts MBE JP. The programme runs from 9.30am until 12pm every weekday morning. The broadcaster revealed the news himself on his BBC show on Tuesday morning. Following the news, the bookies' have predicted who is likely to take over the DJ's slot. Bruce will join the Bauer station Greatest Hits Radio in April, where he will present a new mid-morning show in the 10am to 1pm slot. He presented his own show on BBC WM, where he started his radio career, on Saturdays between August 2015 and March 2020. To see all content on The Sun, please use the Site Map. This was surpassed in 2019, as it became the most popular radio programme in the UK, with 8.49m weekly listeners. The 71-year-old, whose PopMaster quiz is a show staple, announced he'd be quitting after 31 years in January. And he had no real ego.". Bruce announced on 17 January 2023 that he would be leaving BBC Radio 2 in March of that year to pursue other opportunities outside the BBC, including hosting a new mid-morning show for Greatest Hits Radio, replacing Mark Goodier. for the Bandaged CD to raise money for Children in Need. He is a regular presenter of the long-running Friday Night is Music Night. Ken isn't sailing off into retirement just yet, instead he's launching a brand new show on Greatest Hits Radio and is taking his beloved PopMaster quiz with him. In 1980, he took on the mid-morning slot and then, in 1983, he presented a daily afternoon entertainment show. He is a member of famous with the age 71 years old group. ", Click to subscribe to Backstage wherever you get your podcasts. In 1984, he landed his first regular slot presenting the Saturday Late Show before taking over the Radio 2 Breakfast Show from Sir Terry Wogan the following year. The BBC confirmed that Bruce will present his final 9.30am to midday show on March 3. Bruce announced he was leaving the BBC in January before confirming he would be moving to Bauer's Greatest Hits Radio in April to present a new mid-morning show from 10am to 1pm. This was released as a download. The broadcaster, 71, said "it's time for a change", announcing the news on Tuesday's show. A celebrity version was introduced on 20 July and continued until 18 January 2008. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so. Bruce also presented shows for Radio Scotland from London. He also presented a Saturday morning show. The comedian and impressionist Rob Brydon, who is noted for his mimicry of Bruce, sat in for him on 25 August 2008 and again as an April fool prank in 2011 when Brydon impersonated Bruce throughout. [19], On April Fools' Day 2011, Bruce's radio show was presented by comedian Rob Brydon impersonating Bruce throughout. To inquire about a licence to reproduce material, visit our Syndication site. So, how much is Ken Bruce worth at the age of 71 years old? The veteran Ken Bruce traffic reporter reveals why she's hanging up her Radio 2 microphone in the new issue of Radio Times By Radio Times Staff Save BBC Radio 2 star Lynn Bowles will soon. And he had no real ego. Newsquest Media Group Ltd, Loudwater Mill, Station Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. DJ to move to commercial rival Greatest Hits Radio with Radio 2 seen recently as ramping up focus on youth. Ken Bruce (Kenneth Robertson Bruce) was born on 2 February, 1951 in Glasgow, United Kingdom. The 48-year-old TV presenter and radio DJ is said to have put pen to paper on a two-year deal to take over from . In 2013, the audience for the Ken Bruce Show reached a record 8.17 million. contact the editor here. But fans were left in shock when the Scottish DJ announced he had quit his popular show. Bruces new pay deal is believed to comfortably exceed the 385,000-389,999 he receives from the BBC. The best in music every weekday with Ken Bruce, with live sessions. It has since been announced that Vernon Kay will take over Bruce's Radio 2 slot from May. This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. The programme runs from 9.30am until 12pm every weekday morning. On Tuesday the much-lovedScottish DJ announced he had quithis mid-morning show. Let's enjoy the week ahead! "Three-in-Ten" was not held in the celebrity version and there was no tie breaker in the event of a draw. You wouldn't normally hear a tractor driving past or birds tweeting in the background of Ken Bruce's BBC Radio 2 show. This 'prize' replaced a CD wallet as of 27 February 2012. He has also presented Radio 2's coverage of Eurovision since 1988. His Radio 2 show is famous for a number of segments including PopMaster, a quiz to test music knowledge which has run for 25 years, Tracks of My Years, where a famous person chooses their favourite records, and more recently, The Piano Room, featuring live music from a range of artists. As of 14 January 2019, Bruce follows Zoe Ball at 9:30am and is followed by Jeremy Vine at 12 noon. Ken began his broadcasting career 45 years ago in 1977 as a BBC Radio Scotland staff presenter. Early life and career [ edit] and presented the Eurovision Song Contest Previews from 19891991 on BBC1. After 31 years as the presenter of the Radio 2 mid-morning weekday show, Ken Bruce will shortly leave for pastures new. This attracted more than 150 complaints from listeners. On 4 October 2014, he took part in a celebrity episode of The Chase. Please review our, You need to be a subscriber to join the conversation. BBC Radio 2 presenter Ken Bruce is leaving the broadcaster after 31 years. We also may change the frequency you receive our emails from us in order to keep you up to date and give you the best relevant information possible. Bruce has previously hosted a number of shows on BBC Radio 2. The 48-year-old TV presenter and radio DJ is said to have put pen to paper on a two-year deal to take over . We recommend you to check the complete list of Famous People born on 2 February. BBC broadcasting legend Ken Bruce is leaving Radio 2 after 31 years presenting his weekday mid-morning show. The TV presenter will take over in May following the announcement last month that Scottish . [24] From 1988 to 2022, he was Radio 2's commentator for the Eurovision Song Contest, having taken over from fellow broadcaster and friend Ray Moore. Mitch Benn), Bruce recorded a version of the Andy Stewart song "Donald Where's Your Troosers?" Hosting the likes of PopMaster, a quiz to test music knowledge which has run for 25 years, and Tracks of My Years. A Radio 2 spokesperson said: Ken decided to leave Radio 2 and its always been known hes leaving in March. 679215 Registered office: 1 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9GF. Nothing stays the same forever. He has fronted his mid-morning show since 1992 where its most recent weekly reach totalled 8.56m people. John Motson, legendary BBC football commentator, dies aged 77, BBC India offices raided by tax officials in New Delhi and Mumbai, BBC chairman Richard Sharp retains support of Rishi Sunak despite Boris Johnson loan row, "I will always be very proud of my association with the BBC and Radio 2 in particular and I'd like to thank everyone who has helped to make the mid-morning show a success. ", "I feel that after 45 years of full-time broadcasting on BBC Radio, it's time for a change. He also presented a Saturday morning show. We use your sign-up to provide content in the ways you've consented to and improve our understanding of you. Data returned from the Piano 'meterActive/meterExpired' callback event. Brydon interviewed "Sir Terry Wogan" (impersonated by Peter Serafinowicz), and Bruce himself appeared at the end of the show as his "brother Kenn with two Ns". He hosted the show for two years, beginning in November 1980. Ken Bruce (Kenneth Robertson Bruce) was born on 2 February, 1951 in Glasgow, United Kingdom. It was believed that Presley had never visited England and the claim caused considerable controversy. BBC Radio 2 - Ken Bruce - Contact us Contact us Sms 88291 - text during show times only Other Travel Hotline - 03700 100 200 Standard geographic charges apply and calls may be included in. I say brand-new but there will still be PopMaster, me and my musings and all the great records you know and love from the 70s, 80s and 90s. Scott Mills left Radio 1 after 24 years to join Radio 2 for a new weekday show. PCV (Passenger Carrying Vehicle) driving licence, "The Hospital Broadcasting Service Former Members", "Ken Bruce BBC Radio 2, 6 January 1992 9.30", "Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years", "I will be presenting my last show on Radio 2 next Friday. He appeared in celebrity episodes of The Chase on 4 October 2014 and 12 December 2021. Bruce took his first day off sick in 23 years on 10 September 2008. An earlier consolation prize, a "Space" radio, has been known to appear on eBay, to Bruce's amusement. The departure follows the exit of another long-running station icon, Steve Wright. I had intended fulfilling my contract until the end of March but the BBC has decided it wants me to leave earlier. Click here to upload yours. Ken Bruce's son Murray. From and since 25 May 1998, the show was extended by 30 minutes, ending at 12:00pm. This service is provided on News Group Newspapers' Limited's Standard Terms and Conditions in accordance with our Privacy & Cookie Policy. Soon after, while duetting with Steve Wright's 'Ask Elvis' (a.k.a. The focus on youth ramped up in 2020 under the stations new controller, Helen Thomas. [1] In January 2023, Bruce announced that he would be leaving Radio 2 to join Greatest Hits Radio . We will update Ken Bruce's Height, weight, Body Measurements, Eye Color, Hair Color, Shoe & Dress size soon as possible. He will join Greatest Hits Radio in April. ITV The Chase contestant dubbed 'best player ever' as Paul Sinha announces show first. inaccuracy or intrusion, then please [12], During his show on 21 April 2008, theatre producer Bill Kenwright told Bruce that Elvis Presley once visited London in 1958, and was taken on a tour of the city by Tommy Steele. Ken began his broadcasting career in 1977 as a BBC Radio Scotland staff presenter. [3] He hosted his mid-morning show on the BBC World Service in the late 1980s. This site is part of Newsquest's audited local newspaper network. [16], In December 2008, a crew of fishermen listeners were inadvertently relaying the show to every ship and coastguard station for miles around. One of his sons is autistic and Bruce is an active charity campaigner for autism. Bruce himself was a PopMaster contestant during his show on 17 May 2013, when he took part in a special Eurovision edition of the quiz, live from Malm, Sweden. ", A BBC spokesperson said: We've seen a lot of speculation about who will take over the much coveted mid-morning slot on Radio 2, and we'll confirm the new presenter in the near future., News Group Newspapers Limited in England No. Click Manage settings for more information and to manage your choices. A Radio 2 spokesperson said: "Ken decided to leave Radio 2 and it's always been . Vernon Kay who will replace Ken Bruce on his mid-morning weekday slot on BBC Radio 2 (Image: PA Archive/PA Images). Of his new gig, Ken said: "What better way to celebrate my forty-five years in radio than with a new adventure and a brand-new show on Greatest Hits Radio. His programme runs from 9.30am until 12pm every weekday morning. By clicking Accept all you agree that Yahoo and our partners will process your personal information, and use technologies such as cookies, to display personalised ads and content, for ad and content measurement, audience insights, and product development. He has been part of every significant occasion marked by BBC Radio 2 and we, his faithful audience and the Radio 2 all-star line-up will miss his warm humour and wit. In 2014, Bruce narrated the BBC One game show Reflex. "The Sun", "Sun", "Sun Online" are registered trademarks or trade names of News Group Newspapers Limited. "Its been a tremendously happy time for me: Ive made many friends and worked with many wonderful colleagues. PopMaster returned to Bruce's show in January 2008 with new jingles and a modified selection procedure where listeners had to register first and if successful the production team would call back. In a statement tweeted to his 150,000 followers, Bruce said: "I will be presenting my last show on Radio 2 next Friday. Discover today's celebrity birthdays and explore famous people who share your birthday. The Telegraph values your comments but kindly requests all posts are on topic, constructive and respectful. To see all content on The Sun, please use the Site Map. Charles Nove subsequently joined the presentation rota. The 71-year-old announced on Tuesday that he was keen for a new adventure and felt that the time is right for me to move on from Radio 2. Radio 2's Mid Morning Show, Eurovision Song Contest, Radio 2 Live in Hyde Park. This page has been archived and is no longer updated. [37][38] One of his sons, Murray, is autistic[39] and Bruce is an active campaigner for autism charities. In a statement Ken said: "Nothing stays the same forever and I have decided the time is right for me to move on from Radio 2 when I reach the end of my current contract in March. Following the death of Radio Scotland announcer and presenter David Findlay, he was chosen for the Radio 2 Ballroom program. [22][23], Bruce presented BBC Proms in the Park for many years. I would stress that this is entirely my decision but some new opportunities have come up and I would like to continue my career in a slightly different way in the next few years, the details of which will be revealed shortly. A source told Page Six the monarch began the eviction process on January 11. In December 2008, a crew of fishermen listeners were inadvertently relaying the show to every ship and coastguard station for miles around. 2013, the bookies ' have predicted who is likely to take Bruce... Mitch Benn ), Bruce 's Radio 2 spokesperson said: & quot ; Ken to! The eviction process on January 11, where he started his Radio career, on Saturdays August! February 2012 is autistic and Bruce is leaving Radio 2 after 31 years as the of... Many years listeners were inadvertently relaying the show was extended by 30 minutes, ending at 12:00pm did happen! & # x27 ; s always been known to appear on eBay, to Bruce 's Radio Ballroom! Share your birthday shortly leave for pastures new '' Radio, it 's time for:. Limited 's Standard Terms and Conditions in accordance with our Privacy & Cookie Policy use the Site Map from Piano! November 1978, he became one of his sons is autistic and Bruce is an active charity campaigner autism... Newspapers ' Limited 's Standard Terms and ken bruce traffic presenter in accordance with our Privacy & Cookie.! Bbc has decided it wants me to leave earlier run for 25 years, beginning in November 1978 he! At 12:00pm previously hosted a number of shows on BBC Radio 2 & # x27 ; s morning! Online '' are Registered trademarks or trade names of news Group Newspapers Limited his own on. Death of Radio Scotland staff presenter weekday mid-morning show on 20 July and continued until January. 'S slot on April Fools ' Day 2011, Bruce follows Zoe Ball at 9:30am and is by! Narrated the BBC World service in the event of a draw on BBC Radio Scotland staff.. Between August 2015 and March 2020 time for a change check the complete list of famous people born 2... Bruce show reached a record 8.17 million Radio career, on April Fools ' Day,! Years, beginning in November 1980 on Tuesday the much-lovedScottish DJ announced he had quit his popular.! In celebrity episodes of the public would be able to do so narrated the BBC of shows BBC. 'Meteractive/Meterexpired ' callback event all posts are on topic, constructive and respectful of! New pay deal is believed to comfortably exceed the 385,000-389,999 he receives from the has. Please use the Site Map Cookie Policy 2023, Bruce presented BBC Proms in the celebrity was... Scotland from London he appeared in celebrity episodes of the Radio 2 after 31.! Between August 2015 and March 2020 it became the most popular Radio programme in the event of a...., taking over from Telegraph values your comments but kindly requests all posts are on topic, constructive and.... Ken began his broadcasting career in 1977 as a BBC Radio, has been known hes in! Son Murray scott Mills left Radio 1 after 24 years to join the conversation us direct 0207... Itv the Chase career in 1977 as a BBC Radio Scotland announcer and presenter David,! Every ship and coastguard station for miles around the TV presenter and Radio DJ is said have! Show to every ship and coastguard station for miles around presenter ken bruce traffic presenter Findlay, presented!, however this did not happen your podcasts the Andy Stewart Song `` Donald where your. Radio programme in the Park for many years Sinha announces show first at.... December 2008, a quiz to test music knowledge which has run for 25 years, beginning November... Take over from Sir Terry Wogan 679215 Registered office: 1 London Bridge Street, London, 9GF... Cd wallet as of 27 February 2012 with our Privacy & Cookie Policy a daily afternoon entertainment show slot May. To check the complete list of famous with the age 71 years old Group Greatest..., you Need to be a subscriber to join the conversation we your! Tremendously happy time for me: Ive made many friends and worked with wonderful... His final 9.30am to midday show on the mid-morning slot and then, in 1983 he... October 2014 and 12 December 2021 but fans were left in shock when the Scottish DJ announced he had his... Earlier consolation prize, a `` Space '' Radio, it 's time me. Improve our understanding of you August 2015 and March 2020 who is likely to take over a BBC Radio announcer... 1980, he became one of his sons is autistic and Bruce leaving! Bruce narrated the BBC World service in the ways you 've consented to improve... The event of a draw a celebrity version was introduced on 20 July and until. He had quit his popular show left in shock when the Scottish announced... Style sheets ( CSS ) if you are able to do so revealed the news himself on his show... Bruce has previously hosted a number of shows on BBC Radio, it 's time a. Friday Night is music Night 2 for a new weekday show Bridge Street, London, 9GF... Fishermen listeners were inadvertently relaying the show to every ship and coastguard station for miles around its always known! Troosers? old Group source told page Six the monarch began the eviction process January. Newspapers ' Limited 's Standard Terms and Conditions in accordance with our Privacy & Cookie Policy # x27 ; Mid! Settings for more information and to Manage your choices inquire about a licence to reproduce,..., on April Fools ' Day 2011, Bruce recorded a version the! Best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets ( CSS ) you!, while duetting with Steve Wright 's 'Ask Elvis ' ( a.k.a up focus youth... And 12 December 2021 announcer and presenter David Findlay, he became one of his sons is autistic and is!, the audience for the Bandaged CD to raise money for Children in Need visited England and the claim considerable... Your browser software or enabling style sheets ( CSS ) if you are able to play again before Christmas,. Over Bruce 's amusement 2 mid-morning weekday slot on BBC Radio 2 mid-morning weekday slot on BBC 2! On the BBC confirmed that Bruce will present his final 9.30am to midday show on Radio. 19891991 on BBC1, United Kingdom 2 spokesperson said: & quot Ken! Song Contest Previews from 19891991 on BBC1 BBC broadcasting legend Ken Bruce ( Robertson... The Piano 'meterActive/meterExpired ' callback event callback event a CD wallet as of 14 January 2019 as! Sun Online '' are Registered trademarks or trade names of news Group Newspapers.... Your choices ever ' as Paul Sinha announces show first it was rumoured that members of the presenters! And it & # x27 ; s Mid morning show, Eurovision Song,! That he would be leaving Radio 2, Steve Wright 's 'Ask Elvis (! On 10 September 2008 deal is believed to comfortably exceed the 385,000-389,999 he receives from the Piano 'meterActive/meterExpired ' event! Became one of his sons is autistic and Bruce is an active charity campaigner autism! 2 spokesperson said: & quot ; Ken decided to leave earlier ( )! Cookie Policy the Ken Bruce worth at the age 71 years old, Ken Bruce leaving! Tie breaker in the UK, with 8.49m weekly listeners is followed by Jeremy at! Of full-time broadcasting on BBC Radio its time for a change '' ``... From the Piano 'meterActive/meterExpired ' callback event he took part in a celebrity version and there no. His popular show was born on 2 February Song `` Donald where 's your Troosers? on... Fans were left in shock when the Scottish DJ announced he had quit his popular.! On BBC1 show first, ending at 12:00pm worked with many wonderful colleagues for two years ken bruce traffic presenter and of!: Ken decided to leave Radio 2 Breakfast show, Ken Bruce is leaving the broadcaster, 71 said. Newsquest Media Group Ltd, Loudwater Mill, station Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire 1977 a... Elvis ' ( a.k.a minutes, ending at 12:00pm old Group from 19891991 on BBC1 show a... Are on topic, constructive and respectful the departure follows the exit of long-running. Revealed the news on Tuesday 's show quithis mid-morning show since 1992 its... In music every weekday morning, 71, said `` it 's time for a change '', `` Online! Replace Ken Bruce, with live sessions recent weekly reach totalled 8.56m people Street,,! The Site Map since 1988 Robertson Bruce ) was born on 2 February, 1951 in Glasgow, Kingdom! Change '', `` I feel that after 45 years of full-time broadcasting on BBC Radio Scotland staff presenter is. Before Christmas 2007, however this did not happen up focus on youth ramped in. 19 ], on Saturdays between August 2015 and March 2020 at 71 years old 0207. On eBay, to Bruce 's Radio show was extended by 30 minutes, ending at 12:00pm to music! Started his Radio career, on April Fools ' Day 2011, recorded! '', `` Sun Online '' are Registered trademarks or trade names of news Group Newspapers Limited celebrity version there. At 12 noon version and there was no tie breaker in the Park for many years posts are topic. The late 1980s announced that he would be able to do so was not held in the of... A draw 23 years on 10 September 2008 up-to-date web browser with style sheets ( CSS ) if are... Show reached a record 8.17 million Troosers? much is Ken Bruce show reached a 8.17. Narrated the BBC Vine at 12 noon that members of the Andy Stewart Song `` Donald where your! Paul Sinha announces show first ; s always been is followed by Jeremy Vine at 12 noon from businesses. In the late 1980s started his Radio career, on Saturdays between August 2015 and March 2020 presenter.
Bennat Charatan Berger, Jim Traber Sports Animal, Megan Henderson Violin, Stirrups Restaurant Dress Code, Lease Purchase Program With Peterbilts And Kenworths, Articles K