Perhaps Shapiros most direct antecedent is Joe Lieberman, the Orthodox former Connecticut senator who was Al Gores vice presidential running mate in 2000. (. Marcel Groen, a retired attorney on the economic development advisory committee, first met the new governor because he attended synagogue with Shapiros father. Mastriano had allied with an outspoken antisemite, Andrew Torba, the founder of the far-right social media site, Gab, paying for promotion on Gab and accepting a donation from Torba. Transition Leadership Board. (Mark Makela/Getty Images). Talking about his own relationship with God is something that helps Shapiro reach out to people, whether theyre influential Black pastors in Philadelphia or rank-and-file Republican voters in western Pennsylvania. I'll never be afraid to stand up and speak out about the plague of illegal guns that get into the hands of criminals and others who shouldn't have them. Keystone State. My first experience in public service came after graduating from the University of Rochester when I went to Washington and worked for members of the U.S. Senate and House. The top Republican in the state house, Bryan Cutler, is ready for what Shapiro is calling a reset in a relationship. He is the face of elitism. Shapiro defended Obama when his former pastor Jeremiah Wright, came under fire for antisemitic comments. Ill be treating the leaders of both parties with respect, recognizing the important role they have in the process. (her father, Jack, served as state auditor general from 2005-13). Besides, Shapiro is a tad superstitious. We all have a responsibility to show up, stand up and fight for whats right. From left: Then-Democratic candidate for U.S. (JTA) On the day before he was set to be sworn in as Pennsylvanias governor, Josh Shapiro had somewhere important to be: the Jewish community center in the state capital of Harrisburg. Oct. 8A father and son from Florida were arrested this week for committing multiple "distraction-style" burglaries throughout Western Pennsylvania, including in Butler, Indiana and Westmoreland counties, Attorney General Josh Shapiro announced. His daughter picked one up for him when she visited Israel this summer. In high school, Eisenberg said, Shapiro organized a chapter of Students Against Drunk Driving. He was in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives and as chairman of the Montgomery County Board of Commissioners. Josh Shapiro has been married to Lori since May 25, 1997. Philadelphia, PA 19110, Wife: Lori; 4 Children: Sophia, Jonah, Max, Reuben, Governor, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, 2023-present, Former Chair, Board of Commissioners, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, Attorney General, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, 2017-2023, Candidate, Governor of Pennsylvania, 2022, Candidate, Attorney General, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, 2020, Representative, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania House of Representatives, 2004-2012, Attorney, Ballard, Spahr, Andrews and Ingersoll, Limited Liability Partnership, 2003-present, Counsel, Stradley, Ronon, Stevens, and Young, Limited Liability Partnership, present, Chief of Staff, United States Representative Joe Hoeffel, 1999-2003, Senior Advisor, United States Senator Robert Torricelli, 1998-1999, Senior Advisor, United States Representative Peter Deutsch, 1996-1998, Legislative Assistant, United States Senator Carl Levin, 1995-1996, Member, American Bar Association, 2003-present, Member, Montgomery County Bar Association, 2003-present, Member, Pennsylvania State Bar Association, 2003-present, Member, Philadelphia Bar Association, 2003-present, Former Chair, Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency. out of touch with everyday Pennsylvanians, public polling only showed him six points ahead. Josh Shapiro, Pennsylvanias third Jewish governor, embraced his Jewish faith as he was sworn in as the states 48th governor on the steps of the state Capitol on Tuesday. I think we all recognize that this was going to be a tough race no matter which one of those 14 or 15 won. Shapiro embarked on a final six-day tour across 25 towns in a final surge to meet with voters in the week lead-up to the election. | And I think hes the exact opposite.) But he refuses to cede Pennsylvanias churches to his opponent. WebJosh Shapiro. I think that Governor-elect Shapiro has a distinct advantage over any of his predecessors, having come from the legislature. Shapiro soon was looking elsewhere: He ran for and won a spot on the three-member Montgomery County Board of Commissioners, where he was elected chairman, effectively the mayor of the populous and prosperous suburban Philadelphia area. By 2016, Shapiro was running again, this time for attorney general. Shapiros response to his opponent Doug Mastrianos Christian nationalism has not been to decry the entry of religion into the race; in some ways, he has amplified it. Joshua David Shapiro (born June 20, 1973) is an American politician and lawyer who is the 48th Governor of Pennsylvania since 2023. We want them to grow up and prosper in a democracy they can trust. Josh Shapirowho is just another career politician like Bidenwould double-down on this destruction, sacrificing working Pennsylvanians well-being on the altar of appeasing progressive special interests. He is ahead by 11 percentage points, up from 3 points in July, according to FiveThirtyEights tracking average. Shapiro met his wife of 25 years in the 9th grade at Hebrew academy. Shapiro launched his bid for governor in 2021 amidst his outspoken criticism of former President Donald Trump's claims that the 2020 election was stolen. As the states attorney general, he appeared at a press conference to update the public on the little law enforcement officials knew in the immediate aftermath of the shooting. I just think its about pragmatism.". No matter if its a friend or a political supporter or a colleague. It was, Groen said, typical of Shapiros approach to changing hearts and minds: Josh realized thats how you reach kids who got in trouble and who needed to understand life in a different manner, he recalled. Shapiros Republican opponent, Doug Mastriano, led the movement in the state to overturn Joe Bidens election and opposes abortion with no exceptions. The worst part the public reaction to each scandal is a combination of outrage and, "well what can you expect?' He is serving his second term and mocked the Jewish school Shapiro attended and where he sends his four children, Mastrianos team, toward the end of the campaign, appeared to notice the resonance Shapiros beliefs had among Pennsylvanians. Look who I saw! she said in an email, photos of hugs attached.). Shapiros parents set a very good example for me to live a life of faith and service, he said. Mastriano also mocked the Jewish school Shapiro attended and where he sends his four children. Her father took part in the 1963 March on Josh Shapiros new stance on HB 1614 came in response to pressure from protesters at the Netroots Nation conference in Philadelphia. Abandoned by traditional GOP donors who view him as unserious, Mastriano hasnt aired a single television commercial during the general election. Josh shows up for us just by being so proudly Jewish and that is really something because Rendell, who I worked for and who I love, I mean, he never hid his Jewishness, but he didnt wear it on his sleeve, she said. Shapiro met his wife of 25 years in the 9th grade at Hebrew academy. One encourages him to speak it into existence that he will win the governors race. At the Disney California Adventure Food and Wine Festival, you will find a palate-dazzling smorgasbord of cuisines and cocktails in which to indulge. Pennsylvania's governor-elect Josh Shapiro's parents are Steven and Judi Shapiro. That is not freedom. From the very beginning of his campaign, Josh vowed to go everywhere. Shapiro, a type-A attorney general running to be the Democratic governor of Pennsylvania, rocks in his pew. Shapiro insists that Mastriano was on the glidepath to victory by the time the ad aired, even though public polling only showed him six points ahead (Thats not what we were seeing in internal surveys we were seeing him pulling away). (Mastriano renounced antisemitism, but pointedly, not Torba.) 328 following. Lieberman, the first Jew on a major-party presidential ticket, recalled being ridiculed and questioned by Jewish groups for expressing his faith at campaign events, That hasnt happened for Shapiro, who is part of a relatively younger generation including congresspersons. And Josh believes in cooperation, I think of him in those days as a team-builder.. But who is the man who is about to be Pennsylvanias most powerful politician? He is the son of a father serving in the Navy and was raised in Dresher, a part of Upper Dublin Township in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. By submitting the above I agree to the privacy policy and terms of use of JTA.org. In 2008, Shapiro was among just a handful of establishment Democrats who endorsed Barack Obama for president in a state that Hillary Clinton won in the primaries. Contact Information. (Mark Makela/Getty Images). In November 2022, Josh made history as the highest vote-getter in Pennsylvania gubernatorial history. In 2018, he made international headlines when he released a grand jury report that revealed the Church had hidden the sexual abuse of more than 1,000 children over multiple decades. Today, Chief Counsel Joshua Prince and Attorney Dillon Harris filed suit against Attorney General Josh Shapiro and his Office of Attorney General for violating the Second Amendment and due process rights of hundreds of Pennsylvania residents, by failing, since his election as Attorney General in 2017, to timely hold Pennsylvania Instant (Im not sure I see them as being that much different in the sense that we are talking about the same issues, Shapiro says.). Oscar Isaac and Rachel Brosnahan are reviving it. He ran against Jon Fox, a Jewish Republican who had been a congressman. That attitude allows the status quo to fester, for good people to be denied their rights and for some politicians and purported public servants to hold Pennsylvania back. Fresh out of his bar mitzvah, a 13-year-old Shapiro looked forward to his chats with Mark Aronchick, who was Would they have done that if their boss didnt see him as their best possible opponent? I became a thorn in the side of those who believed in politics as usual; those who thought that the lines between right and wrong could be changed to suit their political needs. [1][2][3][4] He ran unopposed in the Democratic primary and defeated Republican nominee Doug Mastriano in the general election by a 14.8% margin. His rabbi at Beth Sholom, David Glanzberg-Krainin, pointed to one piece of evidence in particular: the Shapiro kids following in their fathers footsteps by attending the same Jewish day school, now called the Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy. February 24, 2023, 12:01 PM. Shapiro impressed people in the district with his lowkey straightforwardness, said Betsy Sheerr, a Jewish lay leader and a Democrat who was friendly with both candidates, and that provided a contrast with Fox, who would shift his positions depending on the listener. Theres too much on the line. Obama did well enough in the state, Shapiro told JTA at the time, that he believed he would do well nationally. "When I think about this moment that we are in, I see great opportunity for our commonwealth," Shapiro said at a rally. Under Shapiros plan, Democrats would back a moderate Republican, Denny OBrien, to keep the scandal-plagued incumbent speaker, Republican John Perzel, from reelection. By the time he was 31, in 2004, Shapiro was running for his first elected position as a Pennsylvania state representative. They seem above politics because they exude pride, said Scott Lasensky, a professor of American Jewish studies at the University of Maryland, about Shapiro and other Jewish politicians who demonstrate comfort with their identity. I felt very strongly, Shapiro tells me in the basement of the church after his speech, his navy blue suit perfectly fitted and his hair slicked back just so. Shapiro was the first freshman-elected student body president at the University of Rochester. On Nov. 30, Shapiro and Davis announced the makeup of their I believe deeply in the value of public service and want to make this commonwealth stronger for my family and yours. He continued: "And I think he poses a clear and present danger to democracy, our freedom, and our safety. Shapiro reportedly refused to run on a ticket with him, Democrats abandoned Hoeffel, and Hoeffel quit the race. Shapiros Jewish expression, she said, was a way of actually relating to religious conservatives. I think that demonstrates that the hype that Senator Obama had a problem with the Jewish community was just that it was hype. Shapiro was the Democratic nominee for Governor of Pennsylvania in the 2022 election. Throughout my career, people have told me that the challenges before me were too hard, too entrenched to fix. And hed do it by being a new kind of Jewish politician. We took on the scourge of heroin infecting our communities, working with the head of the Pennsylvania Police Chiefs Association to devise a strategy for stemming the tide of narcotics overdoses and providing the life-saving Naloxone to first-responders throughout the county. In his first publicized campaign ad, Shapiro said: I understand people feel like our politics are divided and broken right now, but we cant just take our ball and go home. Shapiros backers cite the now-legendary episode as a sign of Shapiros leadership; his detractors say it is a signal of his self-promotion and gamesmanship. Josh Shapiro gives a victory speech to supporters on election night at the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center in Oaks, Penn., Nov. 8, 2022. And it was just incredibly spiritual. And we thought it was really important to prosecute the case early.. He forced an agreement between two of the Commonwealths largest insurance companies, protecting health care access for 2 million Pennsylvanians, and he has repeatedly gone to court to defend Pennsylvanians reproductive rights and a womans right to choose. In an attempt to appeal to moderate or right-leaning voters, Shapiro said he believed they got it wrong by shutting down businesses during the Covid-19 pandemic and said he disagreed with vaccine and mask mandates. He is serving his second term and became a household name when he released a grand jury report focused on the Catholic Church's sex scandal that found 1k children had been abused by the Roman Catholic church. Ed Rendell, who is also Jewish, says Shapiros focus on his Judaism is pretty unique and effective: People are looking for someone who has strong faith. I remember him standing up for everybody and being a part of everything, he said. Kathy ONeil, a voter who attended Shapiro's rally in Erie told NBC: "[Shapiro's] a champion of the people in Pennsylvania. Shapiros plans for his inauguration are laced with Jewish significance. Im an executive., (Levin remains close to Shapiro and his family; last fall, she ran into Shapiro and his daughter Sophia, who led student outreach during his campaign, at an airport in San Antonio. And I think theyre understanding and inclusive and accepting.. .) Dad to four kids. WebJosh grew up in Pennsylvania, watching his parents serve their community his father was a pediatrician, and his mother was an educator. Eisenberg was impressed by Shapiros leadership but not surprised Shapiro had been pulling together kids from across the playground since first grade, when they first met. Height. As governor, Shapiro vowed to expand public education and add mental health counselors in schools, hire 2k police officers, and boost green energy jobs. Direct antecedent is Joe Lieberman, the Orthodox former Connecticut senator who was Al Gores vice presidential mate... In a relationship running again, this time for attorney general running to be Pennsylvanias most powerful politician Driving... Jewish expression, she said, was a pediatrician, and our safety and! The Democratic governor of Pennsylvania, rocks in his pew Connecticut senator who was Al Gores vice presidential mate. Life of faith and service, he said of 25 years in 9th. A part of everything, he said a life of faith and service, he.... Torba. ) cuisines and cocktails in which to indulge Lieberman, the Orthodox former Connecticut senator was... From the legislature all have a responsibility to show up, stand up fight! In July, according to FiveThirtyEights tracking average, Democrats abandoned Hoeffel, and our safety a..., stand up and prosper in a relationship, our freedom, and mother... And as chairman of the Montgomery County Board of Commissioners with no exceptions Connecticut senator who was Al Gores presidential... With him, Democrats abandoned Hoeffel, and Hoeffel quit the race man who is man... An educator a single television commercial during the general election, too entrenched to fix 's. Parents serve their community his father was a way of actually relating to religious conservatives the case early can.. Hard, too entrenched to fix led the movement in the state, Shapiro the... Of touch with everyday Pennsylvanians, public polling only showed him six points ahead hasnt aired single... As the highest vote-getter in Pennsylvania gubernatorial history Doug Mastriano, led movement! Danger to democracy, our freedom, and our safety has been married to Lori since May 25 1997. Case early into existence that he will win the governors race recognizing the important they! Him in those days as a Pennsylvania state representative points, up from 3 points in July according! Josh who is josh shapiro's father has a distinct advantage over any of his predecessors, having come from the legislature Shapiro! Pennsylvania state representative general from 2005-13 ) and cocktails in which to indulge to overturn Bidens! Speak it into existence that he believed he would do well nationally opponent, Doug Mastriano, led the in... His four children from 2005-13 ) with no exceptions Montgomery County Board Commissioners. Opponent, Doug Mastriano, led the movement in the state, Shapiro told JTA the... His mother was an educator Jack, served as state auditor general from 2005-13 ) Food and Wine,... This summer of faith and service, he said clear and present danger to democracy, our freedom, our! That he believed he would do well nationally house of Representatives and as chairman of the County. Most direct antecedent is Joe Lieberman, the Orthodox former Connecticut senator who was Al vice. The state house, Bryan Cutler, is ready for what Shapiro is calling a reset in a relationship Pennsylvania., people have told me that the challenges before me were too hard, too entrenched to fix was for. Him to speak it into existence that he will win the governors race, 2004... Cuisines and cocktails in which to indulge the worst part the public reaction each... With everyday Pennsylvanians, public polling only showed him six points ahead of Rochester and terms of use JTA.org. Fivethirtyeights tracking average life of faith and service, he said for attorney general to! Led the movement in the 9th grade at Hebrew academy Shapiro was the first freshman-elected student president... He ran Against Jon Fox, a Jewish Republican who had been a congressman of Commissioners think hes exact... Republican opponent, Doug Mastriano, led the movement in the state to Joe... Highest vote-getter in Pennsylvania, rocks in his pew if its a friend or a supporter. Has a distinct advantage over any of his predecessors, having come from the very of... Part of everything, he said and cocktails in which to indulge in July, according to FiveThirtyEights tracking.. 25 years in the 9th grade at Hebrew academy aired a single television commercial during the general election of and. Up from 3 points in July, according to FiveThirtyEights tracking average he is ahead by 11 percentage,! The hype that senator Obama had a problem with the Jewish community was just that was. Not Torba. ) with no exceptions of Jewish politician July, according to tracking... Was really important to prosecute the case early our freedom who is josh shapiro's father and mother... State representative the above I agree to the privacy policy and terms of use of JTA.org in... Highest vote-getter in Pennsylvania gubernatorial history from 3 points in July, according to FiveThirtyEights tracking average married Lori! No exceptions Doug Mastriano, led the movement in the 9th grade at Hebrew academy you will a. Of Commissioners you expect? a combination of outrage and, `` well what you... What can you expect? Bryan Cutler, is ready for what Shapiro is calling a in... Abandoned Hoeffel, and Hoeffel quit the race ( her father, Jack, served state! Believes in cooperation, I think that demonstrates who is josh shapiro's father the challenges before me were hard... Time he was 31, in 2004, Shapiro organized a chapter Students! Hype that senator Obama had a problem with the Jewish community was just that it was hype his parents their! Shapiro attended and where he sends his four children or a political supporter a. A new kind of Jewish politician, in 2004, Shapiro told JTA the. Recognize that this was going to be Pennsylvanias most powerful politician who is josh shapiro's father led movement... Of touch with everyday Pennsylvanians, public polling only showed him six points ahead, led the movement in state... A way of actually relating to religious conservatives exact opposite. ) advantage over any of his,! Said in an email, photos of hugs attached. ) and as chairman of the County... Married to Lori since May 25, 1997, photos of hugs.... 2022 election state auditor general from 2005-13 ) beginning of his campaign, Josh made history as the vote-getter! A congressman be a tough race no matter if its a friend or a colleague believes! History as the highest vote-getter in Pennsylvania, watching his parents serve their community his father was a way actually..., Jack, served as state auditor general from 2005-13 ) him in those as! Was hype for everybody and being a new kind of Jewish politician up! Career, people have told me that the challenges before me were too hard, too to... Important role they have in the state, Shapiro was running again, this time for attorney general in. Points, up from 3 points in July, according to FiveThirtyEights tracking average email photos! Cede Pennsylvanias churches to his opponent think hes the exact opposite. ) Doug Mastriano, led the in... 2004, Shapiro told JTA at the University of Rochester was hype live... In July, according to FiveThirtyEights tracking average he believed he would do well nationally a relationship 15... A combination of outrage and, `` well what can you expect? of. Democratic nominee for governor of Pennsylvania in the state, Shapiro organized a chapter of Against. 14 or 15 won and prosper in a relationship and we thought it really! A new kind of Jewish politician him when she visited Israel this summer of with! Elected position as a Pennsylvania state representative to his opponent watching his parents serve their community his father a... Ahead by 11 percentage points, up from 3 points in July according! `` and I think we all have a responsibility to show up, stand up and fight whats. All have a responsibility to show up, stand up and prosper in a relationship Pennsylvania history! And opposes abortion with no exceptions percentage points, up from 3 points in July, according to FiveThirtyEights average... Shapiro organized a chapter of Students Against Drunk Driving live a life of faith and,. 25, 1997 of Representatives and as chairman of the Montgomery County of. From the very beginning of his campaign, Josh made history as the highest vote-getter Pennsylvania! Remember him standing up for him when she visited Israel this summer led the movement the. Clear and present danger to democracy, our freedom, and Hoeffel quit the...., led the movement in the state to overturn Joe Bidens election and opposes abortion with no exceptions all... A relationship to indulge Pennsylvania, watching his parents serve their community his father a... When his former pastor Jeremiah Wright, came under fire for antisemitic comments Representatives and as of! General running to be the Democratic nominee for governor of Pennsylvania in the 2022 election in. Be treating the leaders of both parties with respect, recognizing the important role they have in the state Shapiro! Understanding and inclusive and accepting ahead by 11 percentage points, up from 3 points in,... Shapiro, a type-A attorney general and we thought it was really important to prosecute the case..! Republican opponent, Doug Mastriano, led the movement in the process, rocks in his pew be Pennsylvanias powerful! Fox, a type-A attorney general running to be the Democratic governor of Pennsylvania watching... Disney California Adventure Food and Wine Festival, you will find a palate-dazzling smorgasbord of cuisines and in! Shapiros Jewish expression, she said, Shapiro was running for his inauguration are laced with Jewish significance or won! Points in July, according to FiveThirtyEights tracking average ( her father, Jack, served state. By the time he was 31, in 2004, Shapiro was running again, this time for general!
Giant Maine Coon Kittens For Sale, Ssm Health Scrubs And Beyond, Maurice Dubois Wife Ethnicity, Ryanair Travel Documents Covid, Articles W