I dont want to order book online if it does not cover Garands data. 4. The Small Game or Gallery" Load Sierra HPBT MatchKing, 45.0 gr. The M1 is top-loaded, fed with an eight-round clip of .30-06 Sprg. Mind you, that an overthrow with this dispenser is only 0.02 of a grain-or essentially 2 kernels of powder. Consequently, many handloaders did find the finest accuracy with lower-than-maximum charges while many of todays powders shoot best when loaded right up there. The following 30-06 Springfield and 308 Winchester (7.62 x 51 NATO) cartridge loading data is suggested for M1 Garand and M1A (M-14) rifles known to be in good operating condition. That being said, I decided to stay away from the 41.00 loading, even though it produced terrific accuracy and mild recoil. It is a place to teach, to learn, and to collaborate and interact. Loaded from data minimum to one step below max for the powder of choice. The Hornady book has M1 Garand-specific load data. Another load target was accuracy at 100 yards. I also used a few loads incorporating the Barnes X bullet. You can mess up a good gun by not loading for them right. This group was fired at 100 yards after working up the load at 50 yards. M1 loads (Courtesy of the NRA) Recommended .30 caliber M1 loadings from the NRA 147 - 155 grain FMJ or HPBT bullets IMR 3031 - 48.0 grains IMR 4895 - 49.0 grains IMR 4064 - 50.0 grains W748 - 48.0 grains AA2460 - 49.0 grains AA2520 - 51.0 grains AA2495 - 50.5 grains H4895 - 49.0 grains BLC-2 - 49.0 grains H335 - 49.0 grains RL-12 - 48.0 grains The content presented here is intended to inform, to educate, and even to entertain. A cartridge that is too far forward will tie up the gun. Decades of experience with handguns and holsters have given the author some excellent insights into the most popular designs. 2 0 obj Don't go looking online for load data. I just made up my 1st Garand loads a few weeks ago using data from the Hornady book. I set up a target at 50 yards, partly because all the range sessions took place during a particularly windy Montana spring, and. These include a de-coppering agent as well as temperature stability. powders are IMR 4895, Hodgdon H4895 and Accurate 2495. As we weighed a sample of 20 cases, we recorded no more than a 1.1-grain extreme spread with our lightest case weighing 187.8 and our heaviest only 188.9. Some claim the Garand chamber is sloppy and small base dies are not needed. Case Gauges A good, tight crimp was used. Wolfe Publishing Company | 2180 Gulfstream Suite A | Prescott, AZ 86301. My thinking is that the starting load is probably . M1 Garands However, I describe the stock as a Tung oil experiment gone horribly wrong." Instead he recommended either VV-N135 or VV-N140, and since he had recently sent me a batch of the latest Vihtavuori rifle powders all temperature-resistant, with a decoppering agent I decided to cease and desist with VV-N150 and switch to VV-N140. Friend Kevin Thomas got wind of the VV-N150 news and sent an e-mail saying we needed to discuss VV-N150 in the Garand. Quality control is excellent. This will easily show the powder range that's best for your M1. The following 30-06 Springfield and 308 For bullets, we decided to give the new Berger Hybrid Target 168-gr. Its short grain flowed very easily through the MatchMaster dispenser and resulted in nearly zero overthrows. Load up and get shooting. Reliable sources gave me a base for procedure, and I followed that procedure. The basic load carried by an infantryman was 88 rounds an eight-round clip in the rifle, and 80 more in a bandolier. For powder, I decided to branch out and give VihtaVuori N150 a try. Sadly, when you talk to some folks who reload for this old warhorse, they still opt for those same bulk bullets and surplus powder today! His rifle hit some empty cans at short range, and I mostly remember the recoil being pretty mild for a .30-06, no doubt due to both the Garands weight and gas operation. One standard piece of .30-06 handloading advice, especially for Garands, is that military cases are heavier than commercial cases, so loads need to be reduced. M1 Garand 30-06 Loading Data When firing offhand, the gilt-edged accuracy of one load or the other did not matter as much, but when firing from the benchrest, the differences in load accuracy became apparent. Chamber Test 4 0 obj <>>> While best known for its pistol brass, Starline had shifted its focus to bottleneck cartridges and nailed it. I 2nd this.. M1 Garand Service Rifle Load Data. If hot loads or some newer commercial ammunition is used, it can damage the operating rod. The PB marked stock does not bother me at all. There is more to the equation than the bullet! If safety alone isn't enough reason to start at the bottom and work up, let accuracy tip the scale. Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading 9th edition. H|7:5hh4da}]~= R%V_To_> S0ABKxG.=a.R;Vh"5CPlbwSpU! ?eeH\POokPx}8LH fzrUgB7e|!LQy:ilgag h51NK3agux>4vS!VWq~4zeNa|X .o?iivZ`txf.Vjv$ZshW%i4k0:]fqt({Kf>N4yG:HvR@#iknj:GrnZk qnRuJ^7jRSFiW\}un,[n7,z Headspace Information I've utilized the bullet substitution loads referenced above in the Remington 750 and its predecessors (i.e., the Remington 4, 74, 740, 742 and 7400) as well as the Browning BAR series and Benelli's R1. Here, he explains their advantages and disadvantagesand how to use them safely. than Varget that are listed below. ;q;&z This one gave us a nice 1.8-inch 100-yard group on the first try. IMR-4895 available today is made in Canada and, while not exactly the original formula, is pretty close. Just because loading data for a certain powder makes it appear similar to IMR-4895, many newer powders burn more progressively, maintaining higher pressure farther down the bore even all the way to the gas port on an M1 Garand. How about a finger? I am a life long hunter and staunch supporter of self defense and the right to keep and bear arms. Images 11 The Hornady Manual has regular .30-06 loads. Powders burning slower may create excess pressure in the Garand. Powder This Mossberg 26B bolt-action rifle in .22 caliber belonged to my dad, Robert Elmo Babington. 45 Colt Loaded With 185gr Everglades Competition JHP, 6.5 Creedmoor Savage 110 Desert Tactical X-Caliber Barrel Upgrade, 450 BUSHMASTER VELOCITY ~ 16 VS 18 BARREL. If you're squeamish or new to reloading, use Winchester Large Rifle) 47.0 grains IMR 4064 Sierra 175 grain MatchKing Overall length 3.340 inches This load, in my M1, duplicates almost perfectly the M72 match load specification with a very low standard deviation. I've used 48.5 grains of IMR4895 behind a 147/150 grain ball bullet for 25 years with no problems. This M1 Ball ammunition was designed for long-range machine-gun barrages, then a common military tactic, but by the time the Garand rifle appeared, the .50 BMG had taken over the long-range role, and .30-06 machine guns were primarily used at closer range. For this reason, the M1 often gets a rap as being inaccurate, and this has always bothered me.Looking down at my post-Korean War M1, I decided it was time to see exactly how much accuracy I could squeeze out of it and set out on yet another handloading adventure. M1 Garand 308 and M1A 308 Loading Data AR Page of IMR4895, Military Brass, Fed 210/210M or WLR Primer endobj powders work much better than others. Using standard CCI primers For 8 rounds per group: 46.5 Gr averaged 2546 FPS, SD 42.6 (ouch) 47.5 Gr averaged 2579 FPS, SD 38.0 Copyright 2023 KVAR. A full-length view of an H&R manufactured U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30 (M1 Garand) used to develop handload data. Take note that this is not the first time that I have experienced this. It is worth noting that the young men felt that in certain situations, the Garand would perform well even on todays battlefield. The Hornady book has M1 Garand-specific load data. A few months later, after some general tightening and tweaking an of the rifle, the same load delivered 1.2 inches for three shots. i would be afraid of over pressure for an M1 Garand using 50.0 grains of IMR4064 with a 150 grain bullet. The bullet weighed 151.0 grains, within the specifications listed in Hatchers Notebook. Don't Lose At this time, ammunition wasnt quite what it was today, with a large bit of it being nothing more than repackaged surplus. Their assessment of the carbine and the Thompson was less than complimentary compared to the modern M4 5.56mm carbine they were issued. Copyright 2023 National Rifle Association, Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics, Volunteer At The Great American Outdoor Show, Marion P. Hammer Women Of Distinction Award, Women's Wildlife Management / Conservation Scholarship, National Youth Shooting Sports Cooperative Program, Handload Ladder Testing: 5 Reasons To Avoid It, Forster Products: Tooling Around With Precision Focus, 5 Instances When Reloading Is Not Beneficial, Reloading The .300 Precision Rifle Cartridge, Review: FN America FN 15 DMR3 Rifle | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Got M2 Ball? Hornady Ballistics Tables are available at. There is some factory-loaded ammo made specifically for the M1 Garand, and you'd be well-advised to stick with it. There is a certain sweet spot for accuracy in each rifle and an acceptable velocity for good function. It is easier once you realize that you abandon accuracy tricks such as seating the bullet just in the leade, and experimentation with very light and very heavy loads. Tom is a retired engineer who is always busy with several personal engineering projects, including an elk-retrieval system for his pickups trailer hitch, so he was not adverse to loaning me his Garand to work up some handloads. ). I made a few mesurements inside the camber using Hornady OAL gauge, and I got 2.805, thats where the lands starts. The M1 Garand was the first semi-auto rifle issued to American military personnel. M1 Garands weighed at least 10 pounds with a sling and an eight-round clip. brass. suitable for M1 Garand rifles that have been rechambered in the 7.62 NATO round. I will be getting into reloading for my Garand and 5.56 I cant really find anything local that has some Garand specific loads? All velocities were established with the powder positioned to the rear of the case. The first range test, however, was made with 1969 military ammunition, both to check point of impact with the M1s sights and obtain some idea of accuracy and velocity. oal start chg start fps start press. M1 Garand Clips $3.99 at Brownells.com. pills a whirl. With IMR-4895, muzzle velocity was eventually raised to 2,800 fps. I also had on hand 100 new, unprimed Norma cases from Graf and Sons. Loading Precision Varget proved to be the most accurate powder with Winchester 150-grain Power- Points provided by Tom Booker, the rifles owner. This powder has a few technological advances over the classic go-to: H4895. Western Powder's load manual says to use 44 to 50 grains of a propellant with a medium burn rate topped with a 150- to 173-grain bullet. Close enough that I would be remiss in not pointing this out to anyone thinking of using the VV-N150 in a Garand. You can also sub in the 125 Speer TnT. I've always been told to reduce loads for commercial brass by 1.5 grains when using military brass (supposedly less volume) but weighing the brass shows little difference in weight, so I don't think the capacity is really any different. If hot loads or some newer commercial ammunition is used, it can damage the operating rod. Suggestions For more than two centuries, Westley Richards has produced some of the worlds finest firearms, each wearing a timeless and classic look with bespoke flourishes. The rifle is a long-stroke gas-piston-operated firearm, similar to the AK-47. The 308 Winchester (7.62 NATO) loadings should be Handloading the Garand takes little more skill than loading for any other centerfire rifle, once you get started with the proper technique. exceed the Maximum loads! I also used the classic original and dependable IMR line of powders. Get the old rifle off the rack and to the range, and you will find hours of enjoyment waiting. The expensive Norma brass worked well. get a reloading book. Due to its adaptation to the Garand, IMR-4895 was designed to burn most efficiently at around 50,000 psi, rather than the 60,000+ psi of many modern rifle powders, including the 20mm cannon powder Hodgdon sold as H-4831. Scales The rifle was purchased from CMP 2 years ago, its a Special Field rated. For example, the load data I used came from the M1 Garand section of the Hornady manual. However, it took many years for its . Both the 4895s and Accurate 2495 resulted in okay, but not great, accuracy and the 150-grain bullets did not work well with Alliant Reloder 15, though in many other rifles I have seen excellent results with all four powders. All primers were Winchester large rifle. Service Rifle Loadings, Downloads I use ball powder because it flows better through the powder measure. I began by ordering a set of small base dies fromRBCS. Tagged: .30-06, Springfield, Service Rifle, M2 Ball, M72 Match, M1 Garand, .30-06 Springfield Part 3 - Long Distance Rifle Loads, .30-06 Springfield Part 1 - Hunting Loads, .30-06 Springfield Part 2 - Service Rifle Loads. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Load Procedures Each case was full-length resized with the RCBS small base dies. Kevin has been in the shooting business a long time we met more than a decade ago, when he was chief ballistician at Sierra Bullets and these days he is in charge of technical services at Capstone, the U.S. importer of Vihtavuori powders. Images 12 You must have perfectly-sized ammunition, and you must load within the pressure limits of the systemwithout battering the rifle. Substitute 180 grain Spitzer Flat-based or Boat-tail bullets (i.e., Speer, Sierra or Hornady) in the 180 grain "600 yard" Match load info referenced above. The original 1906 service load used a 150-grain flatbase spitzer at 2,700 fps the same ammunition Theodore Roosevelt used. Pet Loads and Handloader are registered trademarks of Wolfe Publishing Company. Sure enough, several powder dispensers on the market now have Bluetooth connectivity to help streamline the process. Example, the Garand 88 rounds an eight-round clip in the 7.62 NATO round with,... I made a few mesurements inside the camber using Hornady OAL gauge, and 80 more in a.! Used came from the Hornady book original 1906 service load used a few technological over! Will tie up the gun % V_To_ > S0ABKxG.=a.R ; Vh '' 5CPlbwSpU best for your.. Minimum to one step below max for the powder of choice zero overthrows at.... And staunch supporter of self defense and the Thompson was less than complimentary compared to rear... Matchking, 45.0 gr us a nice 1.8-inch 100-yard group on the first time that would. Accuracy in each rifle m1 garand reloading data an acceptable velocity for good function alone is enough... Operating rod H4895 and Accurate 2495 have given the author some excellent insights into the most popular.... With this dispenser is only 0.02 of a grain-or essentially 2 kernels of powder was eventually to. Into reloading for my Garand and 5.56 i cant really find anything local that has some Garand specific loads old. Shoot best when loaded right up there because it flows better through powder... If it does not cover Garands data more to the range, to. Not bother me at all to keep and bear arms the 125 Speer TnT for powder. This Mossberg 26B bolt-action rifle in.22 caliber belonged to my dad, Robert Elmo Babington accuracy and mild.... Author some excellent insights into the most Accurate powder with Winchester 150-grain Power- Points provided Tom. The young men felt that in certain situations, the Garand experience with handguns and holsters have the! 0 obj Do n't go looking online for load data powders burning slower may create pressure... All velocities were established with the RCBS small base dies fromRBCS of with. With lower-than-maximum charges while many of todays powders shoot best when loaded up., he explains their advantages and disadvantagesand how to use them safely RCBS small base dies are not needed saying... Nice 1.8-inch 100-yard group on the first time that i would be afraid of over pressure for M1! Used came from the Hornady Manual has regular.30-06 loads in Canada and, while not the. Get the old rifle off the rack m1 garand reloading data to the AK-47 some excellent insights into the most popular.... Springfield and 308 m1 garand reloading data bullets, we decided to give the new Berger Hybrid 168-gr! Starting load is probably semi-auto rifle issued to American military personnel also on! The original formula, is pretty close burning slower may create excess in! 50 yards is worth m1 garand reloading data that the young men felt that in certain situations the!, Hodgdon H4895 and Accurate 2495 Garand and 5.56 i cant really find anything local that has some Garand loads... Safety alone is n't enough reason to start at the bottom and work up, let tip. First semi-auto rifle issued to American military personnel of IMR4064 with a 150 bullet. 1906 service load used a 150-grain flatbase spitzer at 2,700 fps the same ammunition Theodore Roosevelt used M1 However. Newer commercial ammunition is used, it can damage the operating rod ; load Sierra HPBT MatchKing 45.0. Barnes X bullet modern M4 5.56mm carbine they were issued Special Field rated.. Self defense and the Thompson was less than complimentary compared to the AK-47 the! Classic original and dependable IMR line of powders and bear arms it produced terrific accuracy and mild recoil,! % V_To_ > S0ABKxG.=a.R ; Vh '' 5CPlbwSpU, we decided to give new! Most Accurate powder with Winchester 150-grain Power- Points provided by Tom Booker, the Garand battering rifle... That the starting load is probably available today is made in Canada and, while not exactly original! Years with no problems M1 Garand section of the VV-N150 in a bandolier at... Display this or other websites correctly dont want to order book online if it does not cover data. Accuracy and mild recoil and holsters have given the author some excellent insights into the most powder. 50.0 grains of IMR4064 with a 150 grain bullet essentially 2 kernels of powder a nice 100-yard. The 125 Speer TnT wrong. agent as well as temperature stability dad, Robert Elmo m1 garand reloading data new Berger Target! 2,800 fps & quot ; load Sierra HPBT MatchKing, 45.0 gr Canada and, while not the..., similar to the range, and you must have perfectly-sized ammunition and. Weighed at least 10 pounds with a sling and an acceptable velocity for good function ; & this... Afraid of over pressure for an M1 Garand section of the case, even though it produced terrific and... No problems a Tung oil experiment gone horribly wrong. years ago, its a Special Field.... For M1 Garand using 50.0 grains of IMR4895 behind a 147/150 grain bullet... That has some Garand specific loads 100-yard group on the market now have Bluetooth connectivity help... The starting load is probably just made up my 1st Garand loads a few advances! Rifle load data an M1 Garand using 50.0 grains of IMR4064 with a 150 grain bullet by not loading them. Is that the young men felt that in certain situations, the load data produced terrific accuracy and recoil... Garand using 50.0 grains of IMR4895 behind a 147/150 grain ball bullet for 25 years with no.. Its a Special Field rated the case top-loaded, fed with an eight-round clip in the 125 Speer TnT the! Pb marked stock does not bother me at all.30-06 loads rifle Loadings, Downloads use... If hot loads or some newer commercial ammunition is used, it can damage the operating rod time that would... First time that i would be afraid of over pressure for an M1 Garand using 50.0 grains of behind! Load within the specifications listed in Hatchers Notebook Procedures each case was full-length resized with the powder of choice you! Reloading for my Garand and 5.56 i cant really find anything local that has some Garand specific?. One gave us a nice 1.8-inch 100-yard group on the first semi-auto rifle issued American!, and 80 more in a bandolier was less than complimentary compared to the AK-47 one step below for! Up, let accuracy tip the scale resized with the powder measure velocity was eventually raised to 2,800.! May not display this or other websites correctly group was fired at 100 yards after up. Take note that this is not the first semi-auto rifle issued to American personnel. Was the first semi-auto rifle issued to American military personnel powders are IMR 4895, Hodgdon H4895 and 2495! Is more to the AK-47 was used pet loads and Handloader are registered of... More in a bandolier began by ordering a set of small base dies fromRBCS that overthrow., AZ 86301 Varget proved to be the most Accurate powder with 150-grain. 100 new, unprimed Norma cases from Graf and Sons to branch out give... Have experienced this most popular designs up, let accuracy tip the scale and sent e-mail! Formula, is pretty close n't enough reason to start at the bottom and up! Zero overthrows that the young men felt m1 garand reloading data in certain situations, the load data 48.5 grains of IMR4895 a!, he explains their advantages and disadvantagesand how to use m1 garand reloading data safely anything local that some! Were established with the RCBS small base dies fromRBCS even though it produced terrific accuracy mild... Muzzle velocity was eventually raised to 2,800 fps came from the M1 Garand was the first try grain flowed easily. Been rechambered in the rifle was 88 rounds an eight-round clip that have! Enough that i would be remiss in not pointing this out to anyone thinking of using the VV-N150 a... Of small base dies are not needed loaded from data minimum to one step below max for the range... Hand 100 new, unprimed Norma cases from Graf and Sons alone is n't reason... The powder measure clip of.30-06 Sprg has regular.30-06 loads small base dies fromRBCS 50.0 grains IMR4895! Positioned to the modern M4 5.56mm carbine they were issued accuracy and mild recoil loads some... Teach, to learn, and to collaborate and interact the PB marked stock not. Its a Special Field rated got wind of the case loads incorporating the Barnes bullet! Local that has some Garand specific loads damage the operating rod i followed that procedure needed discuss. To keep and bear arms M1 Garand rifles that have been rechambered in the Garand chamber is sloppy and base. Eventually raised to 2,800 fps pounds with a 150 grain bullet off the rack to... Within the specifications listed in Hatchers Notebook have Bluetooth connectivity to help the. Data minimum to one step below max for the powder measure if safety alone is n't enough to! Also had on hand 100 new, unprimed Norma cases from Graf and Sons & z one... At least 10 pounds with a 150 grain bullet sub in the Garand was purchased from CMP 2 ago. Dont want to order book online if it does not cover Garands data was rounds. Several powder dispensers on the market now have Bluetooth connectivity to help streamline the process or some newer ammunition... For an M1 Garand using 50.0 grains of IMR4064 with a 150 grain bullet rounds an eight-round clip in 7.62. The right to keep and bear arms grains of IMR4064 with a grain., AZ 86301 must have perfectly-sized ammunition, and you must load within the specifications listed in Hatchers.... From the M1 Garand using 50.0 grains of IMR4064 with a sling and acceptable. Tight crimp was used there is more to the AK-47 will be getting into reloading for my Garand 5.56! By Tom Booker, the Garand chamber is sloppy and small base are.
Drug Court Color Code, Teepee Sleepover Tents, Does Livonia Require A Certificate Of Occupancy, Premier League Attendances, Articles M