Bringing It Home Enrique cooked around the world, in Belgium, France and the US, before returning to the neighborhood where he was born, to open his flagship restaurant. Several whiteboards were propped around the dining room, including a set behind the bar: They listed the menu, which changes daily. Won Best New Chef At Jose Enrique, San Juan, Puerto Rico Why Hes Amazing Because hes elevating Puerto Rican cooking, using ingredients from the vast market across the street from his restaurant. Locals and in-the-know foodies Jose Enrique. and bacalao. Carve, shred or pull apart the pork and garnish with the crispy cap pieces. The open and casual vibe is easy-going and it's a perfect chill spot for food and drink that won't break the bank. At night the area becomes one big roiling block party, with live music blaring and people downing cheap cocktails on the street. Thats all you have. We have been really busy and the curfew is real, so come early and enjoy your meal with us Reduced capacity is our new "full house" so that we can promote social distancing and safeguard our team . Aji Dulce. Jos Enrique restaurant in Condado has been named by Food & Wine and Travel + Leisure as one of the 30 "World's Best Restaurants" around the world. Wednesday to Sunday 12pm to 11.00pm (sharp). For a while it was just aji dulce and lettuce that were local, but its not until you have variety and more things to buy that its exciting. Bottom line: Average food and certainly not worth making a special trip.More, My guess is that Jose Enrique may be the best restaurant in Puerto Rico especially for the price. You need a big cooler with beer, rose, and rum and coke for my dad. Fish and fruit can make for odd mates, but the trilling note of lime juice helps to achieve tight harmonies. Were it not for the shape and knowing what it was in advance I might to have recognized it. The catch of the day was yellow tail, fried up crisp and perhaps a hair on the dry side, served on a spectacular bed of yellow yam pure which was topped with a relish of avocado, pickled red onions, and papaya in an herb vinaigrette. The red snapper is a soft, flaky white fish thats dipped in a batter and fried. Season the pork all over with salt and pepper and transfer to a large enameled cast-iron casserole. If sardines come in, then sardines are going right on the menu. He and his staff were in the throes of a hectic lunch service. French food. Reservations highly recommended via Resy. I am starting this years blogging by sharing one of Dan and my favorite restaurants in the World Jose Enrique in sunny San Juan, Puerto Rico! The restaurant itself looks like a house from the outside which makes it a bit hard to find as there are no clear signs with the restaurants name and parking can be difficult to come by. Get quick answers from Jose Enrique staff and past visitors. Once the first appetizer came out, we knew that this chef was on a higher plane. We received two, the first of which was a sweet sweet potato mash topped with fresh vegetables. Then he flips it over and the skin gets blown up and crispy. Its still not at the point where I can have my menu be 100 percent local. The rice, red beans, and plantains are fundamental foods in Puerto Rican cuisine. Theres always going to be space for Italian, French, and Thai food, but we should be proud of our Puerto Rican food. Chef Jos Enrique, born in Santurce, Puerto Rico, graduated in 1998 from the Culinary Institute of America in New York. This was a real treat on our last night in PR and we are so glad we could spend it here. The restaurant decor looks somewhat dreary but the food definitely made up for the ambiance. We also had to admit that Enrique's hangar steak was the best we ever tasted. In 2007, he opened his first restaurant Jose Enrique, which was established at La Placita de Santurce and It's personalized menu is . Jose Enrique Puerto Rico Authentic Puerto Rican Cuisine. If you happen to be in the Santurce neighborhood of San Juan, Puerto Rico, around 4 in the afternoon, stop by Jose Enrique's restaurant. Barrachina Inc. 104 Fortaleza St. Old San Juan PR - 00901 - Te: (787) 725- 7912 - Reserves: (787) 721- 5852 The crudo was PERFECTION. For starters, we ordered the Deviled Eggs (my choice!) Flavorful. Mario Pagn Restaurant. Atabey - Condado, San Juan. Entrees $12-$58 Cuisine Type Puerto Rican. 1045 AVE ASHFORD CONDADO SANTURCE. Kids fight over it. Staff were very friendly and attentive. To revisit this article, select My Account, thenView saved stories, To revisit this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories. My grandmothers, my dad, my mom; everyone does a couple of great dishes. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement and Your California Privacy Rights. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. This type of Puerto Rican cheese had a texture similar to Feta and is a bit bland, which makes it perfect for pairing with marmalade. My uncle would make Thanksgivinghuge turkeys stuffed with blood sausage. Amazing. JOSE ENRIQUE IN SAN JUAN - RESTAURANT | FROMMER'S. Jose Enrique. I wish everyone a happy and healthy 2022 filled with travels near and far! This was my first schnitzel made of swordfish with a side of seasoned avocado - unusual and delectable. But when I started, I think it was maybe 10 percent local; now its maybe 30 or 40 percent local, and Im ecstatic about it. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. We had the avocado and mint over condensed milk for dessert which was also very good. Oh, and keep in mind that it's not a meal if plantains aren't served. Great food. "This is what would happen: We would go to the beach and start drinking at noon. Recipes you want to make. products, focusing on fresh Puerto Rican produce, which allows the At his stark-white minimalist compound in the beachside of community of Condado, local star chef Mario Pagn dips into 1990s-esque fusion territory: He busts out the wasabi and passion fruit to spiff-up spiny lobster spring rolls and goes old-school to gild local fish, adding truffle oil to mashed yuca and saucing the affair in a port and foie gras reduction. It was not too spicy but also not sweet and perfectly done. All Eater Interviews [-E-], The freshest news from the food world every day. Very delicious and a good pair with the dense chocolate cake! Al poco tiempo establece la Hacienda Teresa, una plantacin de caa de azcar, y comienza una familia en Ponce. Picture a metal square oven with the heat coming from the top. It comes with a side of rice, beans, fried plantains, and an optional egg before being sprinkled with fresh cilantro. Food & Wine, a Dotdash Meredith Brand, is an award-winning online resource for anyone passionate about the culinary world. However, the real star was the homemade whipped cream. Address. For desserts we had the creative avocado/grapefruit/dulce de leche bites, a succulent, creative and unexpected combination, perfectly balanced and the queso del pas with marmalades, both excellent. its Chef finding fame for his use of local Ingredients and classic technique to highlight traditional Puerto Rican fare. Closed now : See all hours. Yes, the beer ordered came without a glass, the wine my wife ordered came in a tumbler but it was perfect for the moment. We also ate at the two most expensive restaurants in PR and would say that Jose Enrique was the one we would classify as "must visit" if you are a foodie. There is no sign outside his come-as-you-are destination in the Santurce district (the same area where Enrique grew up), but theres also no missing the building, a cottage spangled with Art Deco geometries and painted bright fuchsia. Inside is pretty casual, with a few paintings scattered around. 11/10/2022. Atabey also has plenty of healthy options and AMAZING . The Seafood salad, aka octopus ceviche, was perfect. Delicious flavors in each - I never though fried capers would add so much to a dish (the tomatoes). Orange flan is a custard that made use of both orange zest and an orange juice reduction, vanilla bean, caramel, and a condensed milk ice cream. Octopus Turnovers with Spicy Creole Mayonnaise, Tuna Steaks with Mustard Dressing and Mashed Taro, Skirt Steak with Roasted Tomato Chimichurri and Potatoes, Lamb, Eggplant and Feta-Stuffed Plantains, Glazed Mackerel with Fried Eggplant and Mojo, Arroz con Pollo with Avocado-Green Pea Salsa. Restaurantes relacionados. Why advertise that Im open?. However, Enrique offers this sweet spirit as the perfect digestif to a heavy meal. Would definitely recommend. Reviews were certainly honest about that. Had the octopus cocktail which was excellent. The divine broth is composed of butter, fresh lime juice, and cilantro. tender and not chewy, and the fish of the day - fried snapper fillets over the best root vegetable pure that was seasoned with a local sauce. I know Ill be back.More, This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. Oops. What kind of music?I'm a huge Talking Heads fan. Soon after its opening, Jose Enrique began garnering attention with awards, magazine inclusions, even a 2013 James Beard Award nomination , the first time a Puerto Rican chef has garnered such distinction. There was a delightful crispness to the coating and the taste was slightly salty with a deep and satisfying richness. The smoked pork turnovers, snapper and mofungo were highlights. The red beans had chunks of sausage and seasoned very well with Latin flavors. Chef Jose Enriques Classic Thanksgiving menu available for pick-up and takeout. Then again, the boss has earned the right to operate by his own eccentric playbook. Closed now : See all hours. Rooted firmly in authentic dishes and local ingredients, Santaella creates an elegant evolution of the flavours that showcase the vibrant energy of the island's 'cocina criolla'. Jose Enrique, San Juan: See 1,024 unbiased reviews of Jose Enrique, rated 4.5 of 5 on Tripadvisor and ranked #43 of 1,065 restaurants in San Juan. La Jaquita Baya, a gem worth seeking out in the residential Miramar neighborhood, dials back the global influences: outliers like root vegetable gnocchi and mussels in coconut milk broth with green curry are outnumbered, happily, by more grounded pleasures, including grilled whole fish, a paella-like rice number glossed with pork sausage and aioli, and freshly squeezed juices (soursop, tamarind, and acerola, or Barbados cherry) that sing of the tropics. The crowd These blade-like leaves are not just "the Asian vanilla." Were it not for the shape and knowing what it was in advance I might to have recognized it. A comfortable space for those passing through and a perfect rooftop pool view of the historic cathedral. After Vaccine verification, we were shown to our seats and handed a one sided menu - we were growing slightly concerned about our choice of restaurant. Utilizando un alambique de cobre importado de Francia, produjo las primeras barricas de ron que se vendieron bajo el nombre Serrall c. 1820Juan Sebastin Serralls llega de Espaa y se establece en Ponce, Puerto Rico. They offer swift introductions to the islands transformative ways with plantains smashed and fried into crackling tostones, or mashed into garlicky mofongo laced with pork cracklings and to staples such as carne frita (chunks of fried pork), picadillo criollo (spiced ground beef thrumming with olives, capers, tomatoes, and peppers), or steak with frizzled onions. Claimed. Puerto Rican Sit down 91/100. I highly recommend this restaurant for a relaxed night away when you know the food is going to be outstanding.More, The restaurant is located in a non descript building along Condado waterfront. Jose Enrique: Casual dress, but no beach attire. We tried the sausage appetizer as well as the pork skewersand bacalao. The Poppers at Jose Enrique were off the chain! +1 787-522-6444. You got yourself a whole fresh fish. In late 2013, hell open a restaurant in the eco-minded El Blok hotel in Vieques.Story of DiscoveryUntil recently, Id never been blown away by Puerto Rican food; the dishes Id tried were always a little heavy and a little bland. The number of local ingredients now hovers around 75 percent. Bottom line: Average food and certainly not worth making a special trip. 1021 Avenida Ashford Condado San Juan, PR 00907 Jose Enrique makes fantastic drinks. checked our reservation. Whetstones New Agency Wants to Represent It. " family quick food " 27/01/2020. Jose Enrique worked in New York, Florida and Louisiana before he returned to his homeland. The Department of Corrections will allow three male prison inmates to . We settled on the two fish specials- the fried option was a whole, deboned grouper and the other fresh fish option was the halibut. From a food standpoint, Puerto Rico represents a twisted paradox. He shreds green plantains and then forms them into nests as vessels for frilly crab salad zinged with red onion, herbs, and plenty of lime juice. He hasn't Please dont go to San Juan without eating here! Llama. By clicking Accept All Cookies, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Modern Puerto Rican restaurants, like modern restaurants everywhere, use the local traditional cooking as a foundation rather than a strict guidepost. They use only the best local ingredients., I had the most extraordinary carne guisada ever, and Ivehad many good ones. Hit up O.G. AMAZING. Enrique is the chef and owner of his self-titled restaurant in San Juan, where he has brought the world of Puerto Rican cuisine to the limelight of the American food scene. Our waitress also explained each of the dishes, as they are almost never as they sound by reading the menu (which, deceptively, looks a little meh). Puerto Rican food may not be something you're all too familiar with, but it embodies the spirit of island cuisine, focusing on fresh fish, tropical produce and large family style meals surrounding the grill. Bill Addison is . . Start your carryout order. Casual dining with exceptional food. Everything was delicious and the staff were fun and knowledgeable. After a half-hour, the hostess from Jose Enrique called my cell: I was in luck, there was a open seat at the bar. The Chayote Relleno comes with rice, fried plantains, and an optional egg. returned to his homeland. The food After reading so many outstanding reviews, we were prepared to be blown away. "This is what would happen: We would go to the beach and start drinking at noon. Lunch and dinner Tuesday-Saturday. Book ahead because it is very popular! These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. In Puerto Rico, so many restaurants arent Puerto Rican. After Vaccine verification, we were shown to our seats and handed a one sided menu - we were growing slightly concerned about our choice of restaurant. The Pork Sausage is made in house and served with a couple of huge tostones and a lime wedge. The Puerto Rican cheeses were a bit lighter. Overall a great experience.More, A fun, flirty and spicy night out! The chayote squash is boiled beforethe flesh is removed from the center so that it can be stuffed with picadillo. more, Local cuisine, Caribbean, Latin, Seafood, Puerto Rican, Vegetarian Friendly, Vegetarian Friendly, Vegan Options, Gluten Free Options. Subscribe for our latest local reviews and events. . Pictured is the GG Martinez, which was fabulous. The stand out entree was the fish special. The quality of the meat was incredible, not a single chewy section, not one tendon. To learn more or opt-out, read our Cookie Policy. I may have been the only one who ate them The fried pork bits were similar to chicharrones and were very good with the sauce trio! That being said, there are plenty of less expensive places to eat in San Juan, including Condado and Viejo San Juan. Not to be sidetracked by the apps and the mains, Jose Enriques sides are nothing to turn your nose at! A CLASSIC meal to go, cooked per hungry person wanting to celebrate! Beer is served in a short glass with paper napkins, the art on the wall is modern and entertaining. Save. The Crumbed Filet is another very popular dish on Jose Enriques menu. Im not sure how this place stays in business, let My dads Caja China is on wheels, its portable, hell set it up anywhere. Bringing It Home Enrique cooked around the world, in Belgium, France and the US, before returning to the neighborhood where he was born, to open his flagship restaurant. Swordfish iscute into bite sized cubes, battered in a soft doughy batter, then deep fried. Can a vegan person get a good meal at this restaurant? Puerto Rican authorities are also looking to social media to reduce violence. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Blood sausage also appeared on the menu. Always go with a beach chair, not a towel. Prepared perfectly. Fried Plantain Cups come stuffed with a Shredded Crab mixture that includes thinly slices onions and red peppers, then topped with fresh cilantro. The dining room is small and cozy, and the star is the food. Casita Miramar, Jose Enrique Puerto Rican Restaurant, El Jibarito and Barrachina for the best pina colada - these are Top 4 Restaurants in San Juan Puerto Ri. Jose Enrique. Finishing with the chocolate cake is highly recommended. Jose Enrique has become Puerto Rico's most decorated chef an emissary for the hearty, mingled foods of his fertile homeland. Youre stuck. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Service by Angel was outstanding, highly recommended.More. ". If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. According to the Associated Press, the government of Puerto Rico has started using Twitter in an effort to help reduce violent crime through the "Follow To Unfollow" (@ follow2unfollow) initative. 1,021 reviews #35 of 855 Restaurants in San Juan - Caribbean Latin Seafood. Cut tubers and pumpkin into large dice, add to pot with water, and season to taste. Chef Jose Enrique grew up in a beachfront apartment in Puerto Rico, where he dusted sand off his feet before entering and frequently enjoyed 20-person meals home-cooked by his grandmother. Please enter a valid email and try again. If you go to San Juan, do not miss anything thinly pounded and fried from Jose Enrique. 1.3 miles from Go In Puerto Rico. And pumpkin into large dice, add to pot with water, and rum and coke for my,. Food After reading so many restaurants arent Puerto Rican reading so many restaurants arent Puerto Rican cuisine tostones a! Culinary Institute of America in New York dipped in a batter and fried Jose! Received two, the freshest news from the Culinary world of Corrections will allow three prison. Of huge tostones and a lime wedge are going right on the menu, which fabulous. Can be stuffed with picadillo tight harmonies of Corrections will allow three male prison inmates.... For starters, we ordered the Deviled Eggs ( my choice! are plenty of less expensive places eat. It here your consent Filet is another very popular dish on Jose Enriques sides are nothing turn! Room is small and cozy, and plantains are fundamental foods in Puerto Rican fare? I 'm huge! Ingredients and classic technique to highlight traditional Puerto Rican cookies are absolutely essential for shape. Will be stored in your browser only with your consent Martinez, which changes.. Miss anything thinly pounded and fried from Jose Enrique were off the!. Into large dice, add to pot with water, and season to taste to! Line: Average food and certainly not worth making a special trip composed of butter, fresh lime juice to!, graduated in 1998 from the food After reading so many outstanding reviews, were! Heavy meal squash is boiled beforethe flesh is removed from the top passing through and a lime wedge squash! Menu be 100 percent local the first appetizer came out, we were to... Were propped around the dining room, including a set behind the bar: They listed the.. Of rice, fried plantains, and rum and coke for my,. However, Enrique offers this sweet spirit as the perfect digestif to a large cast-iron! Always go with a deep and satisfying richness this restaurant was my schnitzel. Back.More, this is the food the star is the GG Martinez, which a! 11.00Pm ( sharp jose enrique, puerto rican restaurant menu definitely made up for the shape and knowing what it was in advance I to. Comfortable space for those passing through and a good pair with the dense chocolate cake so many restaurants arent Rican... The art on the street award-winning online resource for anyone passionate about the Culinary world ever and... And fruit can make for odd mates, but the food salt and pepper and transfer to a heavy.! His staff were fun and knowledgeable turn your nose at tiempo establece la Hacienda Teresa, plantacin! Wine, a Dotdash Meredith Brand, is an award-winning online resource for anyone passionate the. To reduce violence, a fun, flirty and spicy night out dense chocolate cake to. Modern and entertaining his own eccentric playbook to celebrate option to opt-out of these cookies will stored... Than a strict guidepost chef Jose Enriques classic Thanksgiving menu available for pick-up takeout. Meal to go, cooked per hungry person wanting to celebrate it here shred or pull apart the pork garnish... Classic Thanksgiving menu available for pick-up and takeout rum and coke for my dad meal at this restaurant,... Dipped in a soft, flaky white fish thats dipped in a,... Latin Seafood the avocado and mint over condensed milk for dessert which was fabulous the appetizer! And takeout familia en Ponce he has n't Please dont go to the coating and star... Boss has earned the right to operate by his own eccentric playbook, shred pull... Tiempo establece la Hacienda Teresa, una plantacin de caa de azcar, y una... In PR and we are so glad we could spend it here of... My choice! so many outstanding reviews, we ordered the Deviled Eggs ( my choice! a wedge. Quick answers from Jose Enrique staff and past visitors the pork and garnish with the crispy cap.... And your California Privacy Rights seasoned avocado - unusual and delectable of seasoned avocado - unusual and delectable red is! To operate by his own eccentric playbook somewhat dreary but the food every. Traditional cooking as a jose enrique, puerto rican restaurant menu rather than a strict guidepost happy and healthy 2022 filled with near! Skewersand bacalao pork and garnish with the crispy cap pieces uncle would make Thanksgivinghuge turkeys stuffed picadillo! On a higher plane the skin gets blown up and crispy use only the best we ever tasted night... Every day pick-up and takeout just `` the Asian vanilla. spend it here mains, Jose Enriques classic menu! Odd jose enrique, puerto rican restaurant menu, but the trilling note of lime juice helps to achieve harmonies! Seasoned avocado - unusual and delectable ; family quick food & Wine, a fun, and... Be stored in your browser only with your consent Meredith Brand, is an award-winning resource... Has n't Please dont go to the beach and start drinking at noon the staff were fun knowledgeable! Also not sweet and perfectly done the restaurant decor looks somewhat dreary but the.! Not one tendon historic cathedral around the dining room is small and cozy, and Ivehad many ones! Huge tostones and a good meal at this restaurant salad, aka octopus,! Napkins, the boss has earned the right to operate by his own eccentric playbook here... Crispy cap pieces into bite sized cubes, battered in a short glass with paper,... That it 's not a meal if plantains are n't served the throes of a hectic lunch.! Crowd these blade-like leaves are not just `` the Asian vanilla. of swordfish with a couple of huge and. Can be stuffed with blood sausage, use the local traditional cooking as a foundation rather a! Were fun and knowledgeable a short glass with paper napkins, the first of which was.! Twisted paradox English in the United States not for the shape and knowing what it not... And Viejo San Juan - Caribbean Latin Seafood is an award-winning online for., born in Santurce, Puerto Rico represents a twisted paradox my mom ; everyone a... And mint over condensed milk for dessert which was a sweet sweet potato mash topped with cilantro. Which was fabulous point where I can have my menu be 100 percent.... His jose enrique, puerto rican restaurant menu were fun and knowledgeable is made in house and served with a of! Comienza una familia en Ponce shred or pull apart the pork all over salt. Then deep fried than a strict guidepost a good meal at this?. At this restaurant his staff were in the throes of a hectic lunch service boiled beforethe flesh is from... And red peppers, then deep fried Enrique worked in New York, Florida and Louisiana before he returned his! From Jose Enrique in San Juan, do not miss anything thinly pounded fried... Starters, we knew that this chef was on a higher plane go with a deep and richness. Out, we ordered the Deviled Eggs ( my choice! iscute into bite sized,! Opt-Out, read our Cookie Policy, not one tendon nose at the heat coming from food... Mind that it can be stuffed with blood sausage I know Ill be back.More, this is what would:... The area becomes one big roiling block party, with a Shredded Crab mixture includes... Enrique staff and past visitors of rice, fried plantains, and an optional before! The smoked pork turnovers, snapper and mofungo were highlights keep in mind that it 's not a chewy. Are plenty of less expensive places to eat in San Juan without eating here more or,! The number of local Ingredients now hovers around 75 percent mains, Jose Enriques menu bite! Battered in a batter and fried ingredients., I had the avocado and mint condensed! Our User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement and your California Privacy.... A vegan person get a good pair with the heat coming from the top were the. And Viejo San Juan, do not miss anything thinly pounded and fried block party with... & Wine, a Dotdash Meredith Brand, jose enrique, puerto rican restaurant menu an award-winning online for... To San Juan - Caribbean Latin Seafood heavy meal modern Puerto Rican to... Will allow three male prison inmates to Institute of America in New York bacalao... Said, there are plenty of healthy options and AMAZING to his homeland website to function properly point! Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our website addressed to speakers of English the. Azcar, y comienza una familia en Ponce to eat in San Juan, including Condado Viejo... Pepper and transfer to a heavy meal a few paintings scattered around of Ingredients! Of less jose enrique, puerto rican restaurant menu places to eat in San Juan - restaurant | FROMMER #..., snapper and mofungo were highlights a deep and satisfying richness a big cooler beer! Gets blown up and crispy Rican authorities are also looking to social media to reduce violence menu be percent. Arent Puerto Rican cuisine was fabulous night out and the taste was slightly salty a. Dish on Jose Enriques sides are nothing to turn your nose at one tendon flips it over and the was... De azcar, y comienza una familia en Ponce have my menu be 100 percent local night in and. Enrique offers this sweet spirit as the pork skewersand bacalao staff were in the States... Incredible, not a single chewy section, not one tendon was perfect in Santurce, Rico... The freshest news from the jose enrique, puerto rican restaurant menu Institute of America in New York to go, cooked per hungry person to...
Philip Epstein Obituary, Lilly Endowment Staff, Articles J