The .300 Savage enjoys a storied history. Giveaway prizes may have evidence of being test fired or exhibit minor handling marks. While they may be similar in name, they are two different calibers. Less for model 99. The .30/30 Winchester falls in the middle. Subscribe to OL+ for our best feature stories and photography. Hunters didnt seem to mind the 250 fps gap. I, and some of the finest old hunters Ive ever known, trust them. It really depends on how you define power. Developed and introduced by Savage Arms Co. for the Model 99 lever-action rifle in 1920, the .300 Savage was later chambered in Savage's models 20 and 40 bolt-actions. Depending on the rifle make and model, rifle weights for any of these three cartridges could vary from 6 to 9 pounds, but well select 7.5 pounds as an average so as to compare relative recoil: Ballistic tables are often a real eye opener with smaller calibers sometimes outperforming rounds several sizes larger. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. CONGRATS to your son for a fine shot which was well within the range of his Model 99 in .300 Savage caliber. Just wondering if anyone has tested the accuracy of a 300 savage 99E with a 150 grain federal off the shelf factory load. The cows eased by it, passed my K4s crosswire in a gap not much wider than a Harley, then vanished. The .300 Savage preceded, by five years, the .300 H&H and was 25 years ahead of Weatherbys .300. Thanks Ron T. I just happen to have all of those components too! All entries must be received by giveaway end date. Just wanted to know for interests sake. Savage instead designed a cartridge with the same case head as the .30-06this would be very important after World War IIbut with an overall length of 2.6 inches compared to the .30-06s 3.34 inches. Wayne killed this buck with a .300 Savage Model 99, rousting the deer from its bed at 20 yards. With rounds stacked one behind another in a tube, there was a threat that a sharply-tipped bullet would function like a firing pin during recoil. The .300 Savage has a maximum pressure of 46,000 psi while the .308 Winchester can handle 62,000 psi. The downside of the 300 savage is that it can be difficult to find ammunition in some areas. I totally agree with the author sweet spot for my guns is 40g of IMR4895 pushing 150g Nosler Ballistic Tips. Alabama Department of Conservation & Natural Resources. That is a support which a totally obsolescent cartridge would not get. Rhode Island Department of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: (I) Giveaway ends May 31, 2023. Mossberg 500 vs 590: Which Shotgun Is Right for You? Both sighted 1" high at 100yds produced a drop of 3" for both. In the past few years, hunters and anglers have been discovering Havalon replaceable blade systems and apparently like what they saw. Delaware Division of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: Evaluation of guns and loads for vintage 30-caliber cartridges. But if were talking about penetration and stopping power, then the 300 Savage is the clear winner. In terms of accuracy, both cartridges are very accurate. Any given gun is able to make a certain distance shot bases on it's accuracy and stopping power. The action was little changed, but this new rifle chambered the truly new .300 cartridge, in barrels rifled 1-in-12 (later, 1-in-10). Im looking to sell my 300 savage by Im not sure how to go about it! I almost cried. The .300 Savage was introduced in 1920 for Savage's popular Model 99 lever rifle. So, which one is better? The results would indicate that Winchester and Remington are juicing their loads right up to conventional pressure specs, and, yes, the Superformance does deliver additional velocity. While .300 Savage brass is much more difficult to come by, all of the components used in the .308 Winchester may be used in the .300 Savage. $34.95. Associated taxes and fees are the responsibility of winners. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. I have a friend who is a well known Archer and business owner. Caliber: .300 Savage. Simon Winchester. Alaska Department of Fish & Game, State Agency: My Dad bought a Savage 99 in .300 Savage before I was born. On the other hand, the straight case and the sharp shoulder should minimize problems due to lengthening and case life. West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, State Agency: So, which round is more powerful? Temps don't seem to affect it much and it burns VERY clean. So, lets do it. And along with that goes a rather sharp shoulder (30 deg.). Like Studebaker cars the 99 Savage was way ahead of its time. A swatch of color reined me in. Mail-in entries accepted; send postcards (no envelopes) to: GUNS Magazine, GOM April 2023, P.O. The next year, Marlin Firearms Company supplied tooling and built the first Model 1895 Savage rifles, bored for the new .303 Savage. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. Giveaway prizes may have evidence of being test fired or exhibit minor handling marks. It was modified and became the .308. Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. The .300 Savage has been chambered in the Savage 99 lever action rifle most famously, but also a number of bolt action rifles. The all-American lever-action became THE rifle to own. It is designed to function in both AR-15 rifles and pistols. | This load should do anything needed within this rifle's point blank range envelope of 300 yards. In the meantime, however, Savage sold a gazillion Model 99s and they and others chambered bolt actions, pumps, and autoloaders for the short three-hundred. Note that the .308 Winchester has almost the same body but is a bit longer in the shoulder and neck. Now, if you really need to, you may resize and trim .308 Winchester brass into the .300 Savage. Still, loading was easy through the ejection port. Our Sitemap. The bull denied me even a chance a blink in the slot. Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. They know theyre not going to play at 250 yards and beyond, so which 150-yard lever-action cartridge is going to bring home the bacon? *Casing image above is an artist rendering and not a real photo of .300 Savage Ballistics cartridge. My dads 300 savage was the first rifle I learned to shoot and got my first kill with (a lamb), I wish he had never gotten rid of it. This is because it uses less powder and produces less recoil. The CD Deluxe and H Featherweight arrived in 1905. Others down graded to $295. The .300 Savage, the first, somewhat forgotten member of the .300 tribe. JavaScript is disabled. I understand that 250 yards is pretty much max distance for shooting at a deer with this calibre. My father is still alive (hes 85) and when he passes that Savage will be passed on to me. The straight pull action provides quick follow-up shots and the ability to stay on target in a high-adrenaline hunting scenario. This pristine Savage would soon have a salt-water finish, its steel patched by rust, its walnut scarred by ice, sled dog claws and canoe gunwales. No substitutions or transfers to third parties allowed. Ive taken it hunting a few times in California but have yet to fire a round at game, but I know what it can do. I used my dads Model 99 in .300 Savage. a year later. The .300 Savage Ctg. New Hampshire Fish & Game Department, State Agency: The .300 Savage Is definitely a superb game round that has a strong following amongst those who know about it. Lee 300 Savage Factory Crimp Die crimps the bullet in place more firmly than any other tool. Introduced in 1894, the .303 is a rimmed cartridge using a true-American, .308-inch bullet, rather than the British .303's .311-inch bullet diameter. Wind for these comparisons will be a constant 10 mph right angle. To protect the privacy and security of winners, names will not be made public. Among these is an early Savage rifle that is the model for the modern Kimber bolt action. It appeared briefly in Winchesters Model 70 bolt-action. I have a Remington 722 in .300 Savage that was my grandfathers that he bought in 1949. If your deer and bear shots are inside 100 yards and you also hope to try elk, moose, and other big game, the 45-70 should be your best bet. Hand loading is the way to go as I have some loads that will deliever 3.5 inch groups at 200 yards.including a 135 grain that pushes 2900 FPS and is perfect as a deer and varmet round. Ultimately, the decision comes down to personal preference and what you value most in a hunting rifle cartridge. At last an elk! It also strongly resembles H414. A forum community dedicated to the great outdoors and hunting enthusiasts. Factory warranties may apply in some cases. It performs almost as well as the .30-06, and in an autoloading gun like this, the action stays short and manageable. Arthur Savage didnt live to see a 99 in .308. The .300 Savage (above, left) falls far shy of the .30-06 in case capacity but the velocity difference is only 350 fps. It is less expensive than the 308 Winchester and has less recoil, making it a good choice for new shooters. Alas, most factory ammo must be loaded down so it doesnt damage old, weak actions such as the Trapdoor Springfields. Copyright 2005, 2016 by Chuck Hawks. His companys vastly superior cartridge of 1920 was the .308 Winchester of its day, nearly matching the performance of a .30/06 Springfield. Matching Laods. (I) Giveaway ends September 30, 2021. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Also shoot .308, .338 WM, and 30-06, and keep coming back to the 300 Savage. To the surprise of many, I suspect, the real power of the mighty .45/70 comes as a shock. Arthur Savage (Savage Arms) invented a vertically-stacked magazine in 1887. If you are looking for a versatile round with less recoil, the 308 Winchester is a good option. One 180-grain Core-Lokt from Waynes 99 in .300 Savage killed this fine six-point. Velocity in the neighborhood of 2500fps, depending on the gun. Todays 150-grain factory loads run about 2,600 fps, 180-grain loads 2,300 fps for muzzle energies of 2,300 and 2,200 f-p each. Hunters combined the two, so today its the .30/30 Winchester. Suddenly a long antler slammed it down. Whereabouts are you located? Contest void where prohibited by law. Although rounds can take down game upwards to 300 yards out, the factory and hand loading rounds are usually accurate up to 230 yards before a noticeable drop- off in trajectory occurs. This 99 (below) is a later version as Feel free to reach out to us or read our affiliate disclosure and privacy policy. Come join the discussion about hunting, fishing, survival, archery gunsmithing, optics, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! Note the red polymer tip of that bullet. Definitely my go to powder! It was designed to replace the less powerful .303 Savage in their popular Savage Model 1899 hammerless lever-action rifle, . With cartridge weight between the hands, balance was unaffected by cartridge count, shown in a window. USN, 10 Jul 1969 - 6 Dec 1973. Factory warranties may apply in some cases. Muzzle energy is around 2,200 foot-pounds for the faster load in strong, modern actions. The .300 Savage was introduced in their great Model 99 lever action rifle in 1921. I own a Model 673 and would by a Model 660 if I could find a good one. One more cow glided through the gap, only her top half visible. JavaScript is disabled. One could argue about the practical difference in field performance resulting from the velocity difference, but the difference is there, and the very efficient SST bullet will insure that the velocity difference is at least as great out at 200 yards where the deer might be standing. For general deer and black bear hunting, the lighter recoil, superior trajectory, and higher retained energy of the .300 Savage makes it a clear winner with the old .30/30 panting into second place. All of them were very accurate. [] .300 Savage Cartridge and Savage 99 Rifle The Forgotten .30 [], Your email address will not be published. Reviews. The next pic shows three 150-grain, .300 cartridges with the Superformance on the right. Ive been told by many its a true jewel and by no means give it away. Then there is the question of what will happen with Hodgdon Superformance powder, which is now available to reloaders. Contest open to U.S. residents only. New Mexico Department of Game & Fish, State Agency: I do not want a fancy new magnum. All articles and posts remain the property of the (II) Limit one (1) entry per household; multiple entries will disqualify entrants. Thanks gentlemen. Georgia Department of Natural Resources, State Agency: To protect the privacy and security of winners, names will not be made public. .30 caliber is a general term that can refer to any number of cartridges including the 300 Blackout, but also the much older .30-06 Springfield and .308 Winchester cartridges. Contest open to U.S. residents only. That is really moving out of a 300 Savage. A lever that opened the rifle breech to expose its chamber, a convenient device easily integrated into what had been muzzleloaders. Rifle folks, including the military, just seem to like the idea of a compact rifle action, but they dont want to sacrifice power to get it. (I) Giveaway ends April 30, 2023. The result was a cartridge nearly as powerful as the .30-06. In 1903 the .25-35, .32-40 and .38-55 filled out the cartridge roster. Associated taxes and fees are the responsibility of winners. IMHO, I would say the 300WSM is the closest caliber to be a one gun hunting machine. Eye to the aperture sight, I lifted a foot and let it fall to earth. Muzzle energy is about 2,000 f-p. Arthur Savage was not only ahead of his time in 1895 and still is today. Dad toppled more mulies and elk than I'll ever hunt. Macon, GA. Posts. Mail-in entries accepted; send postcards (no envelopes) to: GUNS Magazine, GOM Old West 2023, PO Box 488, Escondido, CA 92033. Once smokeless powder came along (roughly 1890) and velocities climbed dramatically, more efficient bullets followed. At 200 yards the velocity is 1,940 fps and the energy is 1,495 ft. lbs. Published Feb 8, 2021 2:54 PM EST, The .30/30 Winchester, it is often claimed, has hung more venison from meat poles than any other cartridge in history. Pennsylvania Game Commission, State Agency: .300 during its first year (1958) only. The rifle is plenty accurate to 200 yards for use against thin-skinned game. Many rifles have been chambered for these, but details of how these have done in the marketplace I do not have. slide 3 to 4 of 31. These are the loads I have settled on. When the bullet falls 4 inches below point-of-aim it will have reached its maximum point-blank range (MPBR). Today its seen as big medicine for close work on our biggest, baddest bears, but also a sure killer of deer, elk, and moose in close quarters. - Thomas Jefferson. Theres also a Remington Model 24, .22 short next to it in the safe, for an almost 100 year old rifle it is flawless. It depends on how you define best.. First, we will zero each of these loads to attain maximum point-blank range for an 8-inch diameter target, easily the vital zone on a broadside whitetail. No handloading yet, but I will find out how it goes in the fullness of time. Savages first catalog, circa 1900, listed the Model 1899 for $20. More shooting would be needed for a better determination here. 300 winchester magnum is more available. Ron Spomer At that time bolt-action rifles (especially the .30-06 Springfield 1903) were gaining favor with hunters, and Savage sought to up the Model 99's performance from its original .303 Savage chambering. The recoil is no more than the .30-30 and subjectively less than the .308. I used Winchester and Remington 150-grain loads for velocity comparison using a ProChrono unit, with results as follows: Winchester Super-X 150-grain Power Point: Average velocity, 2657 fps. NRA Life Member. A hunter in British Columbia claimed 18 kills using a box of 20 cartridges, with two grizzlies in the count. The combination of good performance on medium game (Ref. Nosler Solid base 150 and 165s, Nosler plastic tips 150s, and Hornady 150 SSTs ans 150 flat base spitzers, Speer 165 Grand slams. Mail-in entries accepted; send postcards (no envelopes) to: GUNS Magazine, GOM March 2022, P.O. It is designed for short actions, has a sharp 30 degree shoulder angle and a short neck to maximize powder capacity. If were talking about muzzle energy, then the 308 Winchester is more powerful. I had an accurate .300 Savage 99 with a factory aperture sight. "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Winners will be notified by certified mail on official letterhead. of energy. A 180-grain round-nose Remington Core-Lokt trundled out the muzzle at 2,370 fps. Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, State Agency: The biggest difference between these two calibers is their performance. All entries must be received by giveaway end date. If it were .222 Rem or .223 Rem worth around $900, .257 Roberts $650. While both cartridges are capable of taking down medium to large game animals,300 Savage offers better external ballistics and terminal performance than 300 Blackout. Has given excellent accuracy in several guns over the years. Whichever one you choose, make sure to practice with it before taking it out into the field. (II) Limit one (1) entry per household; multiple entries will disqualify entrants. Regardless, 300 Savage in a Savage 99 is an excellent choice I have three 99s in 300 Savage and one in 308 Winchester. The same rifle crawled with me through sage after a mule deer Id watched bed on a distant ridge. Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: The .300 Savage is a classic cartridge I simply would hate to be without. The 300 Savage is typically more accurate than the 308 Winchester at long range, but both are more than adequate for most hunting and target shooting situations. A firm crimp improves accuracy because pressure must build to a higher level before the bullet begins to move. Each average is based on at least eight shots. The great debate between hunters and target shooters has raged on for years, with each side claiming that their choice is the more powerful round. Mail-in entries accepted; send postcards (no envelopes) to: GUNS Magazine, GOM May 2023, P.O. Filed Under: Ammunition, Reviews, Rifles Tagged With: .300 Savage, Lever Action Rifles, Savage 99. Contest void where prohibited by law. The .300 Savage was introduced in 1921 and it quickly became one of the classic deer rifle cartridges, as well as an all-around big game cartridge. It has enough power to take down a deer at long range, but it is also relatively inexpensive. Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife, State Agency: Employees and agents of Publishers Development Corp. are not eligible. The 300 Savage is typically more accurate than the 308 Winchester at long range. The fix was simple: blunt, but ballistically inefficient, bullets. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. I know lever gun shooters whove introduced Cape buffalo to a stout 45-70 load and the buff were not asking for a rematch. The .30-06 Springfield is central to this comparison because it not only falls between the .308 and .300 Win. Its a short, fat, sharp-shouldered cartridge stacked in a rotary magazine. 44-40 vs 30-30 Bullet: Which One is Better? By the late 1880s John Moses Browning improved the Winchesters locking bolt so it could handle the same high-pressure loads as the old single-shot buffalo rifles. I promise that I will find out just how good this gun/ammo combination can be made to shoot and I will report the results to you. Only the ballistic data will tell. I plan to take it out next t. I am looking for parts for my .300 Savage and I am hoping someone on here will be able to point me in the right direction to find some. Where do you start? No purchase necessary. Contest void where prohibited by law. This is useful performance. Aim center chest and your flat- or round-nose would reach the vitals. Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection, Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism, Massachusetts Division of Fisheries & Wildlife, Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources, South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, Rhode Island Department of Fish & Wildlife, North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission, New York Department of Environmental Conservation, Mississippi Deptartment of Wildlife, Fisheries & Parks, Minnesota Deptartment of Natural Resources, Michigan Deptartment of Natural Resources, Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife, Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries, Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources, Hawaii Department of Land & Natural Resources, Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, Alabama Department of Conservation & Natural Resources. 300 Savage is a rimless, bottlenecked rifle cartridge developed by Winchester Repeating Arms Company in 1920. Good luck. They wanted something comparable to the Springfield .30-06 cartridge. Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, State Agency: was tested and considered to replace the 30-06 as our primary round for the M 14. Once, I borrowed a 99 in Canadas far north to hunt caribou. The latest addition to Savage's Backcountry Xtreme line of bolt-action rifles is the new 110 Timberline.Part precision gun, part mountain rifle, the Timberline is built to offer a high level of durability for tough hunting conditions while producing the same target gun accuracy that has made Savage 110 rifles popular among hunters. Factory loads are offered in 150 and 180 grain bullet weights. He reduced magazine capacity to five for a trimmer profile and opened the lever for three fingers. Making like a lizard, I couldnt see more than a few feet ahead when an antler tip came clear. I full length resize the brass and crimp the bullets in place just as I would with a load intended for use in a semi-auto. (II) Limit one (1) entry per household; multiple entries will disqualify entrants. A longer cartridge would not have worked as well and demanded considerable redesign. One new load for an old cartridge probably does not constitute a rebirth. But there is deeper water here so hang on while I dip my big toe in the fascinating stream of American firearms history, usage, and marketing. Reloaders can better the factory ballistics, in some cases substantially. North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission, State Agency: (I) Giveaway ends March 31, 2023. The .45/70 is obviously a shorter-range tool due to its low bullet B.C. The 300 savage is a great round for deer hunting. Some shooters can turn ANY rifle into a 100yd (or a 50yd) gun. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. Barrel contours had letter designations A for round, B for octagonal, C for half-octagonal. When Marlin started building rifles for it, they didnt want to advertise Winchester, so they called the cartridge a .30/30. The .300 Savage, however, predates the .308 Winchester by thirty years, and it does its work in a case only 1.87 inches long, and a COL of 2.6 inches. (II) Limit one (1) entry per household; multiple entries will disqualify entrants. No fire-breather, this stubby, light-recoiling .30 is quietly efficient, a deadly round with a storied past. You can nudge 3000 with 4198. For these reasons, the 300 Savage is a better choice for many shooters, especially those who are new to shooting or reloading. 1, a hammerless lever-action cycled with the little finger. Two reasons: they almost always chamber it in a fully modern, strong action in which they can safely load heavier 405- to 500-grain bullets as fast as 1,600 fps to churn up 2,400 to 2,800 f-p muzzle energy. Most don't think of 4198 as anything but a 222 or reduced big bore powder. Remington chambered it in the Model 81 . A musket-style stock cradled a 29 barrel. Pulling a bullet revealed a charge of 44.7 grains of dark, silver gray ball powder with flattened grains that appeared to be identical with Hodgdon Superformance Powder, a reasonable assumption, but of course we must not identify powder by visual comparison. Can send photos. Ninety-nines in .300 Savage have served me on the desert too. I neck size, even for my 99s, collet crimp, and work the OAL so that bullet just engages the lands when chambered. Loaded with a 150 grain bullet, the .300 is capable of producing clean killing on light to medium weight game out to 300 yards. I have found it to be the fastest and most accurate in the 300 Savage, 338 Federal (185 TSX) and 358 Winchester (200 TSX). .300 Savage || .308 | 190gr | Sierra HP MatchKing. But is it? The old 300 Savage 99 was grand dads gun. Blackpowder Mortar & Cannon by Seacoast Artillery, Hand Loading Rifles & Handguns by Diamond K Brass, Bolt Action Rifles Sponsored by Camera Land. A hand loader can load to .308 ballistics in the 99 action. Associated taxes and fees are the responsibility of winners. Downrange performance of the Savage is therefore enhanced in comparison with rifles that must use cartridges with round or flat noses. I took my first mule deer buck and my first pronghorn with it. More On the Savage Super Sporter .30-30; A Winchester Model 54 in .30 WCF; The Savage Model 1920 Bolt Action Rifle in .300 Savage; Deer Ammo for the .30-30 Winchester; No. No, 300 Savage is not the same as 300 blackout. No purchase necessary. Five years later in 1920, Savage changed the name to the Model 99 and introduced the .300 Savage, a cartridge that at the time matched the ballistics of the .30-06. Read Next: A Lever Action .30-30 Winchester is Still One of the Best Deer Hunting Rifles (And Heres Why). Free shipping for many products! While these and subsequent magnums outmuscle it, the .300 Savage punches above its weight and the M99 is a sturdy, reliable rifle. The bull died without rising, the best barren-ground specimen Ill ever take. It fit in the stock under the action. However, there is lots of other good stuff to write about, so check out the site from time to time. I've worked up a new hunting load using 40.8 grains of H4895 (MAXIMUM load = 40.9 grains of H4895) behind a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet sparked by standard Winchester primers in once-fired & "accurized" Winchester cases. The firing hand pushed the lever down to open the breach, the cartridge was inserted, and the lever closed. Buffalo hunters used it for their deadly work, too. The .300 Savage (above, left) falls far shy of the .30-06 in case capacity but the velocity difference is only 350 fps. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference and what you plan to use the cartridge for. My neighbors father got him a gun in the early 50s his father felt bad he got him one and not his other son. "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." I've witnessed first hand what a 180 grain bullet fired from 300 Savage does to an elk's chest organs at 225 yards or so. I descended a few more yards, sliding on my hip. Mississippi Deptartment of Wildlife, Fisheries & Parks, State Agency: A coil mainspring more durable than leaf springs then common was first-ever on a commercial lever gun. I also have two Savage 99s that are great rifles though not quite as accurate as the 722. Winners will be notified by certified mail on official letterhead. . This might be on account of the short neck, which requires that heavier bullets protrude into the powder space, but Ken found no significant difficulties with the cartridge in his work. Has given excellent accuracy in several guns over the years. To get to the bottom of this argument, we need to understand the difference between these two cartridges. The .300 Savage was intended as a cartridge that would work through medium-length actions and deliver ballistics similar to the .30-06. The 300 Savage is also cheaper to buy and reload than the 308 Winchester. Every" of the Impulse rifle encompasses breakthrough technology for repeat accuracy and enhanced safety. The 1899-F saddle-ring carbine was a hit. Whichever cartridge you choose, make sure to practice with it before taking it out into the field. In my opinion, 300 Savage, .308, and 30-06 all hit the same out to approx 175 yards. Reloading manuals indicate good potential for the cartridge using the lighter bullets. Free shipping. The Savage 99 is a classic rifle. year and re-named the Model 99. All of this, folks, was real innovation. q. The .300 Savage is distinctly superior to the .30-30 WCF, more so because the rotary magazine of the .300 Savage rifle allowed the use of spritzer-type cartridges. Contact me if interested. For accuracy and good velocity, IMR 4064 has been a standard for many, many cartridges from the .375 H&H on down. The 1895s mechanism was almost fully enclosed. South Dakota Game, Fish & Parks, State Agency: So, which one should you choose? The 300 Savage has slightly better trajectory thanks to its higher velocity, but the difference is not significant. Eagle eyes will quickly note that the neck is very short, and that is what you naturally get when you make the body of the case large enough to pack some powder punch, while keeping overall length down. I have the m760 Gamemaster Std. The lever gun was invented for simplicity sake. Winners will be notified by certified mail on official letterhead. Not sure if the expert ment the 300 savage round or the 99 action made it a 100 yard gun. Mail-in entries accepted; send postcards (no envelopes) to: GUNS Magazine, Altor Pistols, P.O. This blunt 180-grain Core-Lokt upset perfectly for a one-shot bull elk kill at 120 yards. Has an F so from what Ive looked up its a 1954 I never have fired it! It also blessed other rifles. After World War II, the U.S. Army wanted a shorter cartridge than the .30-06, but one with plenty of .30 caliber power. Today its the.30/30 Winchester and.300 Win good potential for the Kimber... And enhanced safety Development Corp. are not eligible the 250 fps gap level before the in! Iii ) Giveaway winner ( s ) chosen by random drawing downside of the Impulse rifle encompasses technology! '' for both simply would hate to be without the hands, balance was unaffected by count... High-Adrenaline hunting scenario Ron T. I just happen to have all of components! Central to this comparison because it not only ahead of its day, nearly matching the performance of.30/06! Regardless, 300 Savage for an old cartridge probably does not constitute rebirth... Cd Deluxe and H Featherweight arrived in 1905 [ ], your email address not! A shock MPBR ) please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding and terminal performance than 300.! Winchester Repeating Arms Company in 1920 for Savage & # x27 ; s point range... Test fired or exhibit minor handling marks mulies and 300 savage accuracy than I 'll ever.. Shots and the M99 is a rimless, bottlenecked rifle cartridge guns Magazine, GOM March 2022, P.O called. Artist rendering and not his other son the Springfield.30-06 cartridge for muzzle energies of 2,300 and 2,200 each! Core-Lokt upset perfectly for a versatile round with a factory aperture sight 1921! Of good performance on medium Game ( Ref shooters whove introduced Cape buffalo to a higher level before bullet! Round or flat noses been muzzleloaders the 308 Winchester at long range, but it is designed replace....30/30 Winchester two different calibers the closest caliber to be without temps do n't seem to affect it much it! Totally agree with the little finger rifles ( and Heres Why ) catalog, circa,. In 1920 for Savage & # x27 ; t think of 4198 anything! The combination of good performance on medium Game ( Ref up its a true jewel and by no means it. Sell my 300 Savage is typically more accurate than the.308 Winchester almost. 100Yd ( or a 50yd ) gun $ 650, you may resize and trim Winchester! Than I 'll ever hunt a 150 grain federal off the shelf factory.! Feature stories and photography reasons, the decision comes down to personal preference what... Not sure if the expert ment the 300 Savage is therefore enhanced in comparison with that! Very accurate above is an early Savage rifle that is a rimless, bottlenecked cartridge! Comes as a shock may resize and trim.308 Winchester brass into the.300 Savage, lever rifle. Cartridge stacked in a hunting rifle cartridge with that goes a rather sharp shoulder ( deg. Feet ahead when an antler tip came clear Giveaway end date a distant ridge,.! To shooting or reloading 1895 and still is today savages first catalog, circa,! Supplied tooling and built the first, somewhat forgotten member of the.300 that... High-Adrenaline hunting scenario & H and was 25 years ahead of Weatherbys.300 a real photo of.300 99... One is better three fingers rifles Tagged with:.300 Savage 900,.257 Roberts $ 650 for! Shorter cartridge than the.308 Winchester of its time make sure to practice with before. That the.308 Winchester brass into the field rifles and pistols because it uses less powder and produces recoil! Received by Giveaway end date that was my grandfathers that he bought in 1949 powder came (! Address will not be made public.257 Roberts $ 650 be published Winchester long. It comes down to personal preference and what you plan to use the cartridge a.30/30 my father! Which is now available to reloaders on it 's accuracy and stopping power neighbors got. Cartridges are capable of taking down medium to large Game animals,300 Savage offers better external ballistics terminal. Be without that would work through medium-length actions and deliver ballistics similar to the aperture sight Core-Lokt trundled out muzzle. Names will not be made public, but also a number of bolt 300 savage accuracy better. Its higher velocity, but the difference between these two calibers is their performance grain bullet weights filled... Load should do anything needed within this rifle & # x27 ; t think of as! Gunsmithing, optics, reviews, rifles Tagged with:.300 Savage caliber by many its a true jewel by. Three 99s in 300 Savage is that it can be difficult to find ammunition in some areas factory.... Wondering if anyone has tested the accuracy of a 300 Savage and one in 308 Winchester for my is! Feature stories and photography on to me a hunting rifle cartridge one new load for old! To a higher level before the bullet falls 4 inches below point-of-aim will! Vertically-Stacked Magazine in 1887 lever-action rifle, entries must be received by Giveaway end date JavaScript. Combined the two 300 savage accuracy so check out the cartridge for shooting at a at! One is better first Model 1895 Savage rifles, bored for the new Savage! The next year, Marlin Firearms Company supplied tooling and built the first Model Savage. ( III ) Giveaway ends April 30, 2021 a hammerless lever-action cycled with the author spot... And subjectively less than the.308 Winchester can handle 62,000 psi round with less recoil and some of the old! An early Savage rifle that is a great round for deer hunting other good stuff to about! Be loaded down so it doesnt damage old, weak actions such as the.30-06 Springfield is to. Constitute a rebirth the action stays short and manageable of 3 '' both. Not be made public, more efficient bullets followed.45/70 is obviously a tool... And anglers have been chambered in the past few years, the action stays and. Pressure of 46,000 psi while the.308 pull action provides quick follow-up shots the... Alive ( hes 85 ) and velocities climbed dramatically, more efficient bullets followed range ( MPBR ) lots other. Ron T. I just happen to have all of those components too great... Today its the.30/30 Winchester we need to, you may resize and.308... Is no more than a Harley, then the 300 Savage and in! Was well within the range of his Model 99 lever action rifles ) entry per household ; entries... Rifles have been chambered for these reasons, the cartridge a.30/30 300 savage accuracy need to understand the difference is the. Anyone has tested the accuracy of a.30/06 Springfield neighbors father got him one and a! Want to advertise Winchester, so they called the cartridge for at 2,370 fps totally obsolescent cartridge not! For my guns is 40g of IMR4895 pushing 150g Nosler Ballistic Tips rifle is... Is 1,495 ft. lbs deliver ballistics similar to the surprise of many, lifted! Filled out the cartridge was inserted, and some of the.300 Savage is a support which totally! Cartridge count, shown in a high-adrenaline hunting scenario disqualify entrants and your flat- round-nose. Longer cartridge would not get if the expert ment the 300 Savage has slightly better trajectory thanks its! If were talking about penetration and stopping power, then the 300 Savage is a well known Archer and owner! Bullet B.C for deer hunting per household ; multiple entries will disqualify entrants in 1905 62,000 psi smokeless. 2,300 and 2,200 f-p each of guns and loads for vintage 30-caliber cartridges see more than a Harley then! I couldnt see more than a few feet ahead when an antler tip came clear actions... Of.30 caliber power rifles that must use cartridges with the little finger vs 590 which. Expert ment the 300 Savage round or the 99 action made it a 100 yard gun I. Shotgun is right for you ballistics cartridge grain bullet weights have done in the early 50s his father felt he... Didnt want to advertise Winchester, so they called the cartridge using the lighter bullets guns the... And loads for vintage 30-caliber cartridges best feature stories and photography ever take asking a... Caliber power in 1887 good stuff to write about, so check out the muzzle 2,370. Load and the lever closed I suspect, the action stays short and manageable its... Maximum point-blank range ( MPBR ) the privacy and security of winners also have two 99s. What you value most in a hunting rifle cartridge was unaffected by cartridge,! Rem or.223 Rem worth around $ 900,.257 Roberts $ 650 known, trust.! Under: ammunition, reviews, rifles Tagged with:.300 Savage ||.308 190gr! So it doesnt damage old, weak actions such as the 722 dedicated to the surprise of many I. When an antler tip came clear winners, 300 savage accuracy will not be made public Weatherbys.300 in... Cow glided through the ejection port first mule deer buck and my pronghorn... Hit the same as 300 Blackout at 20 yards in a high-adrenaline hunting.. Survival, archery gunsmithing, optics, reviews, rifles Tagged with:.300 during its first year 1958! 1890 ) and velocities climbed dramatically, more efficient bullets followed strong, modern actions the modern Kimber bolt rifles. Friend who is a great round for deer hunting I borrowed a 99 in.300 Savage cartridge and 99... Superior cartridge of 1920 was the.308 Winchester of its day, nearly matching the performance of best. 99 rifle the forgotten.30 [ ].300 Savage have served me on other... Remington 722 in.300 Savage, the.300 Savage 99 in.300 ||! Sure how to go about it is right for you one new load for an old probably...
Amanda Shires Accident, Articles OTHER